Dehydration!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigtab

Reaction score
I took an unplanned nap and left my buns outside too long… I think one of them is dehydrated because she won’t move much & she won’t eat or drink at all. She won’t even eat treats she used to go crazy for :(

I’m currently feeding her a mixture of pellets and water through a syringe. What else can I do? My local emergency vet said they don’t treat rabbits and the exotic vet said they don’t have anything until next week… even for an emergency? If she’s not eating tomorrow, I’ll probably show up to the vet and beg for help 😭 please help me stop her from dying….

Was she out in the heat? Is she floppy and not responsive? Or is she breathing rapidly, breathing through her mouth, have reddened flared ears and/or nostrils. If she is floppy and not really responsive or ismouth breathing, you have to find a vet to get her to immediately.

If she's still responsive but overheated, she needs to get cooled down, but not too fast. I would have her in an AC cooled room, fan blowing indirectly past her, cool floor to lay on, frozen water bottle laying next to her, mist the outside of her ears with water. Once she's cooled down she should start eating on her own. If not, you may need to take further steps. But the best thing would getting her checked by a rabbit vet.

https://www.stortvet.com/hyperthermia-overheating/

Latest posts

Back