dead kit in warm place

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YemeniRabbit

Reaction score
hello, I thought the kit that is in the bottom of the nest and above him several other kits is the ones with the highest chance to survive because the ohter kits will make him warm,
this morning, I removed a dead kit, tried to warm him with my hand, but it was too late, he was very cold, the strange thing is that his other 6 brothers and sisters who are above him are still in a good healthy shape, bouncing and moving like a land worm. :huh
is it because down under there in the sawdust there is no air to breath because the other kits were blocking him?
or it's he has bad genetics?
or its just bad luck?

Is there actual sawdust in the nest box and are the kits directly on it? Or is it wood shavings? If you are using sawdust and the kits are in direct contact with it, that could cause respiratory problems for them, as they will be breathing in the dust. It would be best to use something like dried grass hay over the sawdust. Then make a depression in the hay and place the mom's fur back in the nest with the babies in it.

From your other picture, it looks like you're using shavings for the nesting material, which is okay. If you have enough fur then put some underneath the kits and then cover them with fur also. As they get a little older they'll start wandering. Is there a way you can keep them from going outside the nest area and getting cold?

Anyway, I agree with ladysown that there may have been something wrong with the kit to begin with. I just had a litter of two a few days ago and one kit stayed warm and one was always cold, even covered up next to his sibling. He died the next day and the other kit is still warm and fine.

Is there actual sawdust in the nest box and are the kits directly on it? Or is it wood shavings? If you are using sawdust and the kits are in direct contact with it, that could cause respiratory problems for them, as they will be breathing in the dust. It would be best to use something like dried grass hay over the sawdust. Then make a depression in the hay and place the mom's fur back in the nest with the babies in it.

its woodshaving, I did not know the right word for it in English.

From your other picture, it looks like you're using shavings for the nesting material, which is okay. If you have enough fur then put some underneath the kits and then cover them with fur also. As they get a little older they'll start wandering. Is there a way you can keep them from going outside the nest area and getting cold?

Anyway, I agree with ladysown that there may have been something wrong with the kit to begin with. I just had a litter of two a few days ago and one kit stayed warm and one was always cold, even covered up next to his sibling. He died the next day and the other kit is still warm and fine.

then its sadly bad luck, any way, today is the 5th day, and they are still warm very warm, and all now have nice brown and white fur(except for one), I will post a picture soon.

and yes there is cardboard that is 4 cintementers high, I noticed that they jump even when they are 1 days old, so now only an adult rabbit can enter or exit.

Latest posts

Back