Cutting Nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DazedAConfused

Reaction score
Hi there,

We just recieved a new bun.. She (the previous owner is not to sure ifmale or female though) is a Rex.. The problem is her nails areextremely long.. To the point that they are going every which way.. :(

I am wondering if I can cut them at home and how? (are there dangers ofdoing this at home) or if I should take her to the vet and let them doit? They need cut badly as they are just so long and scattered about..

You can take her to the vet's or you can do it at home which ever one you feel most comfortable with :)

These are the ones I use

yhst-67835158275721_1840_62872

Because her nails are so long I would just start off by trimming thetips off, and that will allow the quick (the vain) in her nail torecede, if you cut to low it will bleed. After 4-6 days I would clipthe tips again, and then let the quick recede more, and repeat thesesteps and soon enough she will have nice trimmed nails :D Also when youare clipping her nails make sure you have some flour, constarch, orquikstop around so that just incase she does bleed you can stop itquickly :)

~Amy

Thank you so much..

I have never seen nails this long before.. I am afraid to let her outon free time, cause she might get them caught or snag them onsomething..

Ya I had an adopted rabbit who had nailsthat were like 1 and 1/2 inches long when he arived! He cought one ofthem on the bottom wire and it broke off, but now his nails are niceand short :D

~Amy

Cutting nails at home is safe as long as you aresensible. Get the correct nail clippers, and a septic pencilis handy just in case you cut too far you can use it. If yourbun has white nails its a lot easier to see where the pink is so youdon't cut it,otherwise go careful and you will soon get to know howlong your buns pink is. Its a lot easier to cut your buns nails withsomeone holding him. Good luck:D

I cut the quick on Izzy for the first time in 12 yrs. of rabbits. Oooh, I was so mad at myself. Poor Zig!!

Flour does work great--thanks to the folks on the forum, I didn't panic. hehe

Good thing she's so forgiving. :p

Rose

Latest posts

Back