Cutting Nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Linz_1987 wrote:
Ok, it is now time to cut Peppers nails. Ive had her forabout a year and its the first time ive had to cut her nails. Are yousuppose to cut them more often than that? :?

I picked her up to cuddle her earlier and she struggled and her nailsscratched right across my wrist so it now looks like ive tryed tocommit suicide :p. I had never noticed how sharp/long they are before!It is definetly time! As its her first time at getting her nails cut,and my first time at doing it at home, do you think i should take herto the vet to do it? It does sound really easy to do at home. is iteasy? lol I dont really have the money to keep taking all my animals tothe vets just for their nails to get cut, so i would like to startdoing it at home.

What kind of nail clippers do you all use?

Yes, it's time to cut her nails! They must be getting painfulfor her by now. I cut every 4-6 weeks, like JimD.It keeps them at a comfortable length for both the bunnies andme.:D Although Loki needed it more frequently at first, andthe Ladies might too as theirs were twisted to the side and under theirfeet from not ever being cut by the previous owner.

It's a two-person job for me, but it would probably be a one-person jobif you do a bunny-burrito. Just wrap Pepper in a towel andtake one paw out at a time. I just put Fey in a bunny burritothe other day, and it was pretty easy considering she's unsocializedand afraid to be touched.

It's a one person job for me. I cutPebbles nails yesterday. They weren't that long andI should of left it longer.

And I cut too close to her quick and she started to bleed. :tears2:That was the first time it everhappened tome. The blood slowly dripped out, so Igot out the corn starch and Q-tips. I applied alittle bit of corn starch witha moisten Q-tip butit kept bleeding, so I took a pinch between my fingers anddabbed her nail into it. The corn starch clumpedup, and itseemed to slow the bleeding.

I put Pebbles back into her cage, and she promptly started tolick off the corn starch and it started to bleedmore. So I had to apply morestarch and held Pebbles in my arms until the bleedingstopped. In the end there was blood all over myhands, but Pebbles took it all so calmly andenjoyed the extra cuddle time.

I finished cutting the rest of her nails before I set her down again.

Rainbows! :D

I would reccomend cutting every 4-6 weeks. Werecently tried to cut Devon and Amber's nails. Lets just say... theyweren't too happy. A soon as we would get the clippers around atoenail, they would start flailing like crazy. I was afraid that theywould get hurt, so we ended up taking them to the vet so that theexperts could do it.

Back