Cupcake has a Dislocated Veritibrae?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
Took Cupcake to vet#2 for another opinion on her leg dragging. She seems to drag her legs one dayand hop slowly the next.

Took some X-raysand the good news is that that was no apparent broken or fractured bones in her spine/back however it does appear that she has a vertibrae that is slightly out of joint right where her pelvic bone is.

Diagnosis is a dislocated or slightly out of place vertebrae in her pelvic area.

The vet indicated this is a good place to have this happen since the pelvic bone somewhat protectsher from damaging it more.

She is on anti-inflamatoriesand 4 weeks of cage confinement, hoping it may heal. The vet did indicate she has seen otherrabbits with similar conditionsrecover well in a few months but you never know.

Anyways, Cupcake seems very happyand is eating,drinking well,is not sitting in her urineor poop so there is some hope she may be okay.

My daughterand I love her so much we want to do what is right for her- so far the vet bills are over $250 but I am hopeful that since the injury does not look too severe she may recover somewhat.

I hope she likes her Xmas presents we got her- we will have to give them to her in her cage- praying that she recovers.

Sue

Happy to hear that diagnosis isoptimistic. If you can "get by" with the additional expensesincurred, I don't think you'll regret it. We, too, spent"tons" of money for gastro-intestinal surgery for one of our buns andwe do not regret it. Had we not, I think I would have always"second guessed" whether surgery would have saved her, for without it,she was a goner.

The stinker is still with us and is fat, happy and sassy as ever! Now, she even has a mate.

Buck

Oh Sue,

I'm so glad it's something that can hopefully be fixed.

Cupcake has stolen the hearts of many of us on this forum and personal friends of mine who I shared her picture with.

I can assure you, we will be thinking and praying for her quick and complete recovery. She's in good hands with you.

Do keep us posted, please, and kiss her little nose for me.

-Carolyn

Thanks again for all your encouragement...everyone on this forum is so helpful & so supportive !!

Making sure Cupcake gets lots of patting & sweet talking duringher recovery....I tell her about all her other bunny friends on thisforum all the time.... she sends all her love & bunny kisses toyou all!......:)

Sue

I pray the medicines help Cupcake to heal.

I wonder if bunnies, like humans, would benefit from certain excercises once they heal?

The muscles and stuff around that slipped disk will be weaker..... so Iwonder if a certain type of jumping (to low lifts? or something) wouldstrengthen that?

I guess it depends upon what muscles are affected.....

I'm happy to hearthat you took him for another opinion and that it was optimistic. LikeCarolyn said, so many of us care for Cupcake and have been holding ourbreath for good news! You and your family hang in there and we willkeep thinking of you and keep you all in our prayers! Give that cutebaby a kiss for us!

RaspberrySwirl

Just curious, where did you go? Was it AltaVista? I like them, but they are expensive! I'm actually thinking offinding another vet for our cats, since I need to get a teeth cleaningdone for Lestat. It's over $300 at Alta Vista!

That's very good news about Cupcake though. :) Too bad there aren't rabbit chiropractors!

Stephanie wrote:
Too bad there aren't rabbit chiropractors!
That and physical therapy were what I was thinking of in my last post.

They have horse chiropractors! Why not for bunnies? :X

Stephanie,

I tried both times to get Cupcake an appointment at AltaVista Animal Hopsital & both times the rabbit vetswere not in at the time I was trying to book.

The first visit was to the Carlingwood Aniaml Hospital- $55 visit fee& they wanted to do over $500 of tests. I decided to wait& get another opinion.

I took her the second time to Lynwood animal hospital (in BellsCorners) - my dog's vet recommended I go there. They seemed morereasonable in price & the X-rays were approx $100 cheaper thanat Carling. (Cost of 2 X-rays approx $130 plus vet fees plus medication= $205)

I was going to have Cupcake fixed in January but that will have to waitnow for several months pending how she does over the next few months.

Sue

I may have suggested this before to you, but in case I have not, link to http://cooleyscritters.freeservers.com/photo6.htmlfor information that may be of value to you regarding Cupcake's current condition.

When you get there, scroll down to: Special Remedy for Hindquarters Paralysis that is not caused by a break in the back. Ms Cooley, the site owner, is a former ARBA registrar and breeder of some renown and if she saysthe treatmentworks, I suspect that it will.

The treatment costs nil and I doubt that it could harm the bun, so it might be worth investigating.

Buck

Thanks Buck- interesting remedy- may just give it a try but she is on medication now so don't want to try anything jsut yet.

Tracy- Cupcake is a Holland Lop

Sue

I manage a chiropractors office and we adjustanimals all the time. In fact, she has adjusted my dog andThumper before. I would highly suggest you lookinto it.Often, they don't advertise that they adjust animals but theydo. Just call yours if you go to one and if not your medicaldoctor could probably refer you to a good one. That is whatis important. Is finding one with a good reputation withanimals or people. It is basicly the same with muscletesting. Good luck!! Hope all heals fast and well!

Really, wow! I had no idea they would adjust an animal.

Sue, Alta Vista is a pain to get into sometimes. Dave gets irritatedbecause twice they changed our appointments because their rabbit vetswere out or whatever. To me, it was worth it because I do really likeit there and they were great with both Abby and Valuran. Of course, Ican't remember my vet's name, but he's good. Did both Abby and Vey Vey.

I should check other places out for my cats though. Like I said, they are pricey.

Latest posts

Back