County Fair coming up...:)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoobyDoo

Reaction score
Out in the middle of a Cornfield..., Iowa, USA
Every year I show in the county fair and that is all I show in, so I'm pretty much getting excited! I always show horses and usually rabbits and it is so fun! lol, but it's not until the end of July...darn it all, lol. Is anyone else in 4-H or FFA?

~*Caitlin*~

(PS: I know this isn't really related to anything, but I've been thinking about it for a while and all, so now you lovely people get to hear all about it:bunnydance::D)

I was raised an Army brat so I couldn't really have many animals with all of our moves. So when my dad finally got out of the service we moved back around family and that's when my 'rabbit world' started. I was in 4-H for 8 years and loved it as I was an officer for the past 5 years of my 4-H career. The same month that I could no longer participate as a 4-H member was my first month as a 4-H advisor. :D

I'll tell ya, it's tough being a 4-H advisor for the kids you were members with but I love every moment. I've got a differentrelationship with the kids then the other advisors dowhich helps. They see me as still being a friendand like having an advisor that isn't the age of their parents. :lookaround

I'm sure you'll have a blastat your fair and be sure to tellus howyou did! Majority of my memories from 13 yrs old and up were from the county fair since it's a BIG thing around here. Businesses close and everyone's up at the county fair since we are a big agriculture area. :whistling

Yeah, that's kinda the same deal here. I live in a smaller town and just about everyone comes to the fair because a lot of the people are in agriculture. Every year most of our time is spent in the horse barns and we will set up chairs, coolers, a radio, etc. and it's so cool.

Dwarf_Angel04 when you were in 4H what did you show?

~*Caitlin*~

We've been involved in 4-H for many years and I was a rabbit club advisor when I lived in Ohio. I had over 50 kids in my club!

This would have been daughter Stephanie's last year to compete in 4-H, but she won the senior division last year, and I'm the judge for everything this year (showmanship & breed show), so she won't be competing. However, she'll be judging 4-H at one of the fairs, so she is still involved with rabbits.

Matthew (7) is still too young to be a full 4-H member, but he enters our local fair.

We also showed horses for many years.

Pam

We had Paints and an Appy, but sold our horses when we moved to Pennsylvania.

Pam

We have a very small fair and our is also very screwed up this year. Our 4-H fair is seperate from the Macon County Fair (if that makes sense) there is no 4-H whatsoever at the County Fair just rides and grand stand events. Our rabbit/poultry show is in another county, our livestock show is TWO counties away and the horse show is a couple towns away from the fair grounds.....:mad::mad:all shows are one day shows. So no camping out at the fair grounds, no sitting around for hours sipping cool drinks and acting crazy with friends.......just hectic one-day shows! No one is happy at all. None of the kids or parents like it and all this because "there is not enough competition".....none of the kids care!!!!!!!!!!!:rant:disgust:better now:)

Ellie

I used to be in 4-h, but since we moved I haven't gotten back into it. I'm an Army brat, too, so there is always a lot of moving, but I usually manage to haul my animals with me on moves.

I really wish I knew of a chapter here, it was really fun when I was in it. I showed horses, actually.I didn't show rabbits, but on the last day of the fair (a county one, like yours) I bought 2 young rabbits (a chocolatePolish doe and asplotchy grey mini-lop buck)from an exhibitor; they had very good prospects as their parents were big ribbon winners and went to state I believe. Of course that day I also bought4 "slaughter bunnies", twowho were chosen culls ofa litter, and two who were from a person I knew and I couldn't stand them being eaten (they were meat rabbits). Then we moved here... and we can't have hutches in military housing (well, outside) and I didn't have room for so many cages inside, so they were rehomed to a fellow 4-h er and are thriving today. Bittersweet, really.

What part of Iowa are you from? Its funny, my name is Caitlyn, and I was in 4-h the year we lived in Iowa. Do you know where Mt. Ayr is? That's where I was from. (Ringold County).

Anyway, good luck at the fair! You must get pics for us, too! :D

Cait, that's awesome how you saved those bunnies! Rabbit showing is fun! What year were you in 4H in Iowa? I'm from Warren County, can't say where exactly, but I know where Mt. Ayer is! Lol, you only lived like 2hrs away :) So where do you live now?

~*Caitlin*~

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wow, Bramble, that really is messed up. How can they even do that? You'd think it would just be easier to have it all in one location.

~*Caitlin*~
Yeah, that's exactly why no one likes the idea. Naturally, Macon County Fair attendance is way D-O-W-N...so i hope it teaches them not to split up the fair. What kind of horses did you show, Cait? Did you show english or western?

Ellie

Thanks! They were great rabbits, and are very personable.

Thats so neat! I have no clue where Warren County is, but I figured since most Iowanese (ha) go by counties and/or know them I should say which Mt. Ayr was in. I'm trying to recall which year I was there... Lets see, 9th grade... so Late 2003 til about October 2004. Not a long time at all. :( If- no WHEN- you go to state with your bunns, if you see any green tee's with Sunshine Workers on the front, that'd be my old club chapter. My grandma was the leader (is that what they are called?) for the chapter, and that's how I got started. Which smelled a bit, as all my friends in Mt. Ayr were in another chapter because my grandma's was in Redding. Which is only 15 minutes away, so I'm not sure why they had 2 chapters so close together, LOL.

Right now I live in South Carolina, but next summer I will be moving back to Iowaas I am attending SWCC in Creston. All of my family is from Iowa, and since we move around so much I'd really like some ties to somewhere, and to finally get the chance to really get to know my family. But man is Iowa a bit of a bore... LOL. I'm sure you have felt that way sometimes; my friends who still live there tell me they are moving as soon as possible because there isn't much to do there. :p

Oops, didn't see your post there, Bramble! I showed Quarter horses ( I know, exciting, LOL) and I ride Western, although I've tried my hand at English a few times, so I also showed in Western. :DA friend had a few horses he didn't have time to enter, so he let me enter with his mares and a mare and foal set. I wish I could remember these class names, LOL.

Cool, when i rode i rode english. Quarter horses are one of my favorite breeds! I like the thoroughbreds and paints, too. I think the TB's would look better in english tack though, lol.

Ellie and the Furkids :bunnydance:

Lol, Iowa is really boring! i agree with your friends, I plan on getting out of here too, but I might end up attending a jr collegehere though. I don't think that I will be showing in state fair though, but Iwill be going to work there for FFAsometime! funfunfun~lol.

~*Caitlin*~

Ellie, cool! I had a friend who rode English, she was really good. :D I like QHs, but I'm all for Morgans myself.

LOL, Caitlin! Its so weird how I want to come back the same time they are all leaving! :p

I'm a kid well 15 and I care I never really got to show my rabbits because they were mixed breeds but now I'm gonna show my rabbit(my mini rex) in the county fair I'm so excited!maybe he'll win first.

Latest posts

Back