Cookie is scared :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunMommaD

Reaction score
So I have anxiety disorder and PTSD pretty bad... I've been doing really good but on the one year anniversary of my moms death (a major cause for my PTSD) I had a trigger and lost it... Had a complete nervous breakdown... Those who have it too know that once you get to that level there is no going back... Yu just have to get it all out and ride the waves... Well it was about 11pm-3am... I was crying so loud... My husband tells me some screaming too... I black out sometimes when it's bad... (it hasn't been that bad since she past and the few months after)

Anyway cookie got so scared, and was hiding and thumping and my husband was to busy to do anything for him... He close the door to his room... Anyway, he has refused to come out and play for days and today we finally got him to come out and he ran downstairs and flew into his house and has been there ever since... :( he's not playing or interacting... I feel so horrible... :(

Is there anything I can do to make him feel better and come back to being the confident boy he is?

*please! No negative comments... I already couldn't possibly feel worse*

I can't imagine people would make negative comments. You're dealing with two difficult emotional states that you don't just 'get over' or have the ability to stop on command.

Maybe your bunny just needs a few days to see that everything is okay. Can you offer him some of his favorite treats and/or toys to entice him to come out? Maybe just sit where he can see you, play with some of his toys, and talk in a calming voice? I'm sure he'll come around in his own good time :)

I'm so sorry for your situation.

I'm sure Mr Cookie was scared, but he'll slowly return to normal, as the situation is under control & he'll see that.

I hope it won't happen again to this extent, but it might be best to decide that he be taken downstairs when there's any chance of it beginning again.

Different people deal with grief in different ways, but I find it helps to focus on the good times with our family & how good it was to have the time we did have. My mother was an only child whose parents both died when she was 20-25. Then came WWII & Dad, her new husband, was away for years.

Thank you both... He took some treats from me and licked me a little before running back upstairs to his room... A little progress I suppose...

Honestly the grief sucks but I find it mostly manageable... My mom was sick (bi polar) all of my life and extremely depressed... When she took her own life it just destroyed my whole world... I miss her terribly but I know that the pain she was feeling, was beyond my comprehension and I have to believe she is now pain free and happy for the first time... I hold on to that and the good times! But the PTSD is what I have a hard time with... I found her and it haunts me... I have decided that if it comes on again I will go into the basement, or my husband will take me to the basement till things pass... This is the first time anything this bad has happened since we got cookie, so I never thought about it affecting him...

I really do need to get back into therapy... But I have yet to fine a therapist around here that is experienced with dealing with suicide grief, which is SOOO vastly different from all others...

Again thank you both for you kind words and for listening :)

Oh Hun I feel for you and understand a little of what you are going through. Just remember that Buns can feel what you do; if you are upset they will feel that.

On a side note:

Do you know how important you are to God? He cares so much about every detail of your life. He cares about your thoughts, feelings and emotions. In fact, what you are going through is so important to Him that He records every sorrow and collects every tear you’ve shed. Why would God record your sorrows and collect your tears? Because He loves you so much, and He is your Vindicator. He’s keeping account of every wrong that’s ever been done to you so that He can make up for every single one of them. He wants to restore everything that has ever been stolen. He wants to heal every single hurt and pain. He sees the longings and desires of your heart, and you can rest knowing that He is working things out for your good!

So today, know that you are precious to Him. He has your best interest at heart. He is working to bring restoration and peace to you. Keep standing, keep believing, and keep doing the right thing because the One who collects your tears will restore every broken place in your life!

You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book Psalm 56:8, NLT

I'm Praying for you Hun, keep your chin up!
:hugsquish:

Thank you all! I grew up in church... To be honest I'm angry... Really angry... My mom had such faith, she went to church all the time and prayed and read her bible constantly... She begged God to fix her mind... But he didn't... I was 27 when she died, my sister was 19 and my brother who has autism was just 17... She promised she would always take care of him, he'll never live on his own... It's just such a tragic situation ll around and I believe in God SO much, that I know he could've done anything to save her!! But he didn't... And frankly, at this point tht just not ok with me! Which I know he understands... Ad he's a big God, he can take it... I'm sure I'll come around eventually... But now it's still just so fresh... Thank you for the prayers! That means a lot!

Dear BunMammaD--My heart goes out to you...and I am so impressed with your strength, despite all you have been through. Life is agony for all of us at times...there's no one on this earth who hasn't felt despair and loss but not everyone can continue to care for others and be sensitive to others' needs the way you are, in the midst of everything. And not many are as honest and open. PTSD is extremely difficult but with those qualities, you are healing everyday and healing others!

I know Cookie will return to normal before very long...maybe just needs a little time and space. I think sitting quietly with her might be a good idea. And, of course, treats heal all;)

Thank you for all the love you bring to the world!

:: Super huge hugs ::

I feel for you. I take medication for severe PTSD and anxiety. I know how bad it can get. I have a lot of triggers that make every day life pretty stressful, so I understand completely what you mean about a point of no return.

Here's what I do, because it's happened to me also with my buns: lie on the floor with Cookie. I usually open the door to the cage/enclosure etc. and move a few feet away. I lie with my head on my arms, but my face to the side so said bun can see that I'm calm. Having relaxing music on helps. I really like Clannad for this. The trick is not to try to engage Cookie in any way, just be there and be calm. Take an hour or so, or longer if you start to doze (just make sure if Cookie does leave the enclosure it's a safe area!)

It took a week of this for me to earn my buns kisses back and things are back to normal. When I start to feel panicked I turn flighty and try to remove myself as far away from family and pets as possible. Usually a bathroom. Screaming into a thick towel helps muffle the noise.

I've found that running for me in particular helps keep the anxiety somewhat at bay. Running helps release endorphins in the brain and I get incredibly focused when I run. I can't run when I'm having a panic attack obviously, but if I've had a really stressful day and I feel a breakdown building I can try running to take a small part of the edge off.

Please feel free to PM or email me if you ever want to rage, vent or talk. :hearts:

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your mom and all the trials you are going through. It is perfectly normal to question God when going through such a time like this. I can't even imagine...

Are you taking any medicine for anxiety? I have been on it for years...I know it can be a controversial subject and some people don't approve, but it worked for me.

As far as the buns goes, time and treats. He'll come around. You know how they get freaked out with loud, sudden, and unfamiliar noises.

My prayers are with you. Hope bunny hurries up and is ready for snuggles soon!
:hug1

Thank you both... He refused to come out of his room today... I'll try one more time before I go to bed... I like the idea of laying down with him, but he is shedding so bad I just can't lay down near his enclosure... It's awful on my allergies... But if he would just come downstairs, I could lay down all evening with him :(

And I'm not on meds, but I have emergency meds I can take when the PTSD is super bad... Like last week... I only take it when it's awful, and that isn't very often... I prefer not to be medicated, I was on meds everyday and night for months after my mom passed but I was able to get off of it all after about 6 months... I'd been getting acupuncture which was really helping but I've been outta work for a month now and just can't afford it right now...

I'm so sorry things have been rough. Anneversaries can be a huge trigger. I'm glad you were able to ride it out. :hug:

Cookie probably didn't understand what was going on. Buns tend to be very resiliant though, so once things are back to normal they can bounce right back. So glad the snuggie worked!

Latest posts

Back