connected poo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBun

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions I'm hoping have simple answers. My boy Dusty had an emergency involving a tooth spur that caused him to stop eating, develop an ulcer and have severe anemia. He was hospitalized for a week but has since made an amazing recovery. I almost lost him.

I adopted him about 6 months ago from a rescue knowing he had dental issues. His age is unknown but I'm beginning to think he is in his later years. I was told his front teeth were removed however, is it possible they could grow back? He seems to have a very sharp single tooth coming in in the front. Will this also need to be removed since the growth will again be unchecked?

Second question (forgive me - I'm new to bunny ownership): Because (I'm assuming) of his dental issues, Dusty does not eat ANY hay. I've tried every brand, type and size imaginable with no success. He is constantly grooming and sometimes his poo is strung together with fur. I'm afraid he's not getting enough roughage to keep his bowel clean and stasis is a concern. He eats pellets and gets 2 cups of chopped mixed greens a day and as much water as he likes. I even tried mixing some grasses in with his beloved greens but if i do that then he won't eat the greens :(

Third question: Dust Bunny's eyes run - the vet (whom I trust implicitly) said this is most likely from his continuing dental issues. Recently Dusty has been sneezing - nothing continuous, just one here and there and I've noticed a slight runny nose. It doesn't seem to be a white discharge but it is wet. Is this something to be concerned about and is there an at home remedy ? I will take him to the vet if need be but I'm still paying for his weeklong stay in a NYC exotic vet ($$$) and am anxious to try a little home love first. Thanks for any info you may have.

It is wonderful that you chose to adopt a bun with a teeth issues as they are often an on-going problem and these buns are overlooked . I am glad that someone was willing to give him a loving home ; he is very lucky :)
If anything (even tiny)remains of the tooth it can regrow. Remaining buds can sprout new teethalmost like seeds growing grass. it is not always possible to get the entirety of the tooth (even in the hands of the the best vet/dentist)

His incisors probably were removed and at least partially regrew. Since there is no alignment of the teeth and no opposing teeth the new teeth tend to grow inabnormal shapes and different directions causing alot of problems

It is possible that you could have the incisors removed again and in the meantime you could take him forfrequent filing of his incisors ; clipping (with clippers) will eventually do damage to the root of the tooth.

You need to get good dental x-rays of the roots of the teeth and also head x-rays as you are right that most likely his dental issues are causing his eye issues; roots can grow up into the face and actually affect the eyes.

Dental issues can often bring on mild upper resiratory problems ; I know this from experience as when my holland lops teeth needed work he often developed some minor symptoms of an URI; this is something that you should monitor

My bun Beau (RIP) had so many molars removed that he also could not eat hay at all. he also could not eat greens.

I used Oxbow's Critical care mixed (in a gruel ) with Oxbow's Timothy pellets and he lived on that alone for years. Critical care does contain fiber and everything else a rabbit needs for sustenance. The down side of this is if the rabbit is not chewing at all the teeth overgrow even more dramatically.
I would consider giving your bun some critical care for fiber if he is not eating hay but continue to attempt to introduce anything else that you can think of to encourage him to chew something.

You could also give some pure canned pumpkin which is high in fiber.

Another member of the forum feeds one of her rabbits all varieties of veggies with different textures and this has successfully helped her bun grind down his own molar spurs.
Unfortunately I am convinced that my bun Beau really could not chew anything hard or tough whatsoever.

It Sounds like you trust your vet with his dental problems so that is very good for your bunny.

Good Luck !

Connected poops are normal for a rabbit who is passing fur ; they really are only a problem if they are dried out. I would make sure that he has a crock to drink out of ( will drink more) and if he isn't a big drinker you can add a small amount of apple juice to the bowl to encourage him to drink more; this sure works for several of my rabbits.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've posted twice on here and received such quick and informative replies. It really is an amazing resource and all of you are so generous with your knowledge and experience.

Latest posts

Back