Come on, your a rabbit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rabbits didn't get therenotoriousreputation by accident so what's going on with mydoe? She refuses to be re bred. I have tried several different timeswith 4 different bucks and she refuses to be caught and when restrainedshe flattens herself out and clamps down her tail so they still can'treach her. She has had a litter before that she did beautiful with sowhat's the problem?? I have been trying for 2 months!:pullhair:

oh oh, someone forgot to tell you only petrabbits or rabbits you do want to breed have that reputation, showrabbits are notorious for their lack of libido. You can try a number ofthings to get her to be receptive if the candles and romantic music didnot work

1. Take her to a show.
2. wait until spring, this is the season that rabbits naturally "go into heat" for breeding
3. Put doe in with buck, than an hour later put her back in. It takesabout an hour for the doe to release an egg so the first initialmounting causes the does body to release hormones, so an hour lateryour doe may be receptive, but the buck has already left the cage.
4. A trick I had to try for my older larger flemish does, I have totake them out onto a table put my hand under their pelvis and actuallylift for them. This is really really hard to do for small rabbitsbecause you tend to acutually get in the way but sometimes it helps to"force breed" the doe, then an hour later she will hopefully be morereceptive and lift for the buck.
5. Increase the time the lights are on in your barn, its nottemperature that causes rabbits to go into "heat" otherwise there wouldbe no such thing as arctic hares, its the increase in the duration oflight, rabbits sense it is spring because the day is getting longer.
6. apple cider vinegar is said to increase fertility
7. Try housing her next to bucks, or if she already is, house her far away from bucks.
8. Try taking her on a short car ride on bumpy roads before breeding,the jolting is said to stimulate the hormonal release, that and itssaid a little fear causes animals and people to do things they wouldn'tbefore, Even if it is breeding.
9. Try other herbs that are said to increase fertility.
10. If there is another breeder, try housing her at their place for a week and then try breeding her.
11. It is also said moon breeding works on rabbits.
12. Try breeding at dusk or dawn, when rabbits would normally breed

Hmm thats all I can think of for now, I'm starting to think I shouldwrite a book on the subject, breeding a breed that is notorious for notwanting to breed has taught me a few tricks.
If all else fails and she doesn't want to breed in the spring somethingmay of happened with her last litter, she may no longer be able toreproduce. The most important thing is to not give up. Also you did notsay how old she is, rabbits tend to be breeders until they are 3-4 butafter that it becomes harder for them to actually become fertile andraise a litter. Hope this help!

Julia

I have found that many dwarf and non-meat breedstend to have more reproductive difficulties due to the fact that theyhave not been selectively bred for their reproductive traits, asmany commercial breeds are.

Also, the doe's reproductive hormones begin to naturally decrease as winter approaches.

I've had the most success with reluctant does by attempting to breedthem once a day - every day - until they have a successful breeding.

The doe's vulva is generally a good indicator ofreceptiveness. Pale pink, dry = not receptive; swollen andpurple = past receptiveness. Medium pink and moist = receptive.

Refer to Julia's post above for additional tips :)

Pam

LOL, yes of course, the he/sherabbit Ibought my daughter as a pet, the lady told me was a buck, has a literof 7. My show rabbit, nothing since her 1st liter. She is not even ayear old so I know that's not the problem, I've been trying since theend of August so I don't think it's the daylight. I have actually triedquite a few things on the list, guess I'll try everyone until one of usbreaks! Thanks for the advice!!

Latest posts

Back