Coast to coast

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zicheri

Reaction score
Bunny Winston and I are soon going to be driving all the way from Boston to LA. We'll be traveling with my boyfriend and plan to make at least 5 stops along the way, but we could be in the car for very long periods at a time.

Winston will be getting neutered soon and we won't leave for a few weeks after, but I worry that this could be bad timing. How long should we wait to head out?

Also, we haven't really been using a leash, but I want to let him out of the car when we make pit stops to let him stretch his growing legs. Any suggestions on getting a bun used to the leash? (don't worry! I have a harness!)

I'll be sure to keep him cool and out of direct sunlight, but he's probably going to end up in his pet carrier for much of the trip. It's not tiny, but for a flemish giant used to 300 sq.ft. it will be cramped.

Any tips on getting this bunny from coast to coast? He'll be about 6 months by the time we leave.

I would wait to leave until he is completely healed. For most rabbits this is 10-14 days after the surgery. Most vets will do an incision check around that time, so once that is done and everything is ok would be a safe time to go.
He should also be back to his normal eating and pooping habits before you leave. The stress of getting neutered could cause him to eat less for a little bit and you don't want to have to deal with eating issues on your trip. It usually only takes a few days for a rabbit to be back to themselves, but you can't be too careful.

For leash training, get a lightweight cat leash or some strong but light rope or string. It should be at least 6ft long to give him enough space to move but not too much that he could get too far from you. Assuming he is used to the harness, adding a leash should not be too hard. Clip it to the harness and let him move around. Keep the leash behind him so he doesn't get tangled up. You can also try taking him outside on it. Keep the leash from dragging on the ground, but also keep it lose so he doesn't really feel it there.

Getting an x-pen could be a good idea. You can use it at rest stops and at a hotel to keep him contained. Some mats or a plastic sheet would be good to cover the floor in a hotel.

It is going to be a stressful trip no matter how much you work with him. Even just the moving car for hours can unsettle a rabbit. It is best to stop every couple hours to give him a break from the vibration of the car. Make sure to bring enough pellets and hay for the trip and a week or so once you get there. Buy veggies as you go, especially if you don't have a good method of storing them. Give him a container with pellets in the carrier along with some veggies. When you stop, offer water. Bring along some canned pumpkin, a large syringe and some children hydration drink just in case he doesn't want to eat. The number and location of rabbit savvy vets along the way can be useful if anything does happen.
Don't forget to book your hotels in advance. Make sure they allow pets so you aren't sneaking Winston in.

I am actually doing almost the same thing here in November. I will be traveling From Texas To Maryland which is a 26 hour drive. I plan to get my bunnies fixed before we go, probably 2 weeks or so before. I had a lot of the same questions you did, thanks for asking! I will be checking back on this thread a lot.

:biggrin:

Well, generally you want to limit exercise after a neuter anyway, but personally I'd want to make sure he was all healed up before I head out.
If you have room for an ex pen that would probably be ideal, but if not, you can let him out in the bathtub or bathroom of your hotel (if you're staying in one) at least to stretch his legs a bit.

Even if I train him on the harness now, could it be dangerous while he's recovering from the surgery?

He doesn't like his harness and it's a struggle to get it on and off of him, but I think that if we work at it a little bit at a time he might get used to it by then. We won't be leaving until 3 weeks after the surgery, but I worry that if he isn't totally recovered that this could add more stress.

Should I not even bother trying? Or try to get him used to it and see how things go after the surgery?

The harness might not be the best so soon after surgery. When my dog was spayed, the harness caused her a bit of pain, but I think it was more soreness around her chest. I am not sure if it would be similar for a male rabbit getting neutered.
If you can get him comfortable with the harness before he is neutered, it would be best. However, it is still difficult to train a rabbit to walk on a leash. They are apt to go the direction they want and tend to pull a bit. If you could limit the amount he would be able to pull with a longer leash or a pen, it would be better.
Just having the harness on should not be a huge issue. I had Lillian in a harness and doing agility 2 weeks after her spay and 5 days after getting the staples out. She doesn't pull though.

I would definitely work on getting him used to it. If he isn't doing well with it after the neuter, then you can find something else that can work, but if he is doing fine then you have it. Rabbits tend to bounce back fast too.

I do find that some rabbits may fight the harness on their turf, but are more accepting of it in a new or strange place. You could try using it in a room or area that he is not used to. I would wait to go outside until he is more used to it and you know he can't get out of the harness. Getting his mind off the harness can help him get used to it. When you get it on, try giving him some treats or getting him to do a trick, even playing with him is good.

Does your car have air conditioning?

When I have gone on longer trips I like to cover the carrier with a light colored towel or light weight blanket to help block the sun.

I have small water bottles that I attach to the metal door of the carriers so that they can access water when ever they want. I also give them lot's of hay to help keep them busy.

What are you planning on using on the bottom of your carrier? Is your bunny litter box trained?

I would bring a cooler so that you can bring some veggies and water that your bunny is used to drinking. Also, If the car doesn't have ac then you can have ice packs to help keep him cool (assuming it's hot when your traveling)

I would be afraid to use a harness and leash on a bunny who isn't used to one especially in unfamiliar areas. If you have NIC cubes it would be easy to set up a pen for play/exercise time.

luvthempigs wrote:
Does your car have air conditioning?

When I have gone on longer trips I like to cover the carrier with a light colored towel or light weight blanket to help block the sun.

I have small water bottles that I attach to the metal door of the carriers so that they can access water when ever they want. I also give them lot's of hay to help keep them busy.

What are you planning on using on the bottom of your carrier? Is your bunny litter box trained?

I would bring a cooler so that you can bring some veggies and water that your bunny is used to drinking. Also, If the car doesn't have ac then you can have ice packs to help keep him cool (assuming it's hot when your traveling)

I would be afraid to use a harness and leash on a bunny who isn't used to one especially in unfamiliar areas. If you have NIC cubes it would be easy to set up a pen for play/exercise time.

That is almost exactly what I did when I drove from California to Florida with Sparky and Scooter. I had a 30" pen that I used for their travel cage. I had it on the passenger seat with the door facing me so I could open it and pet them. I had a towel over the cage to shield it from the sun and the towel also funneled the A/C into the cage. It really stayed nice and cool even when I had to stop and run in to use a bathroom. We only traveled about 500 miles per day and they had free run of the hotel room at night. We stayed at La Quintas. They are inexpensive and pet friendly. I took the top off of the cage in the room and they used the bottom for their potty. I traveled with a cooler for their veggies and my water bottles. I had water and hay available in the cage when traveling, although they really didn't partake of it. I found the water bottle leaked badly while traveling. I also gave them both some Rescue Remedy each morning. They weren't particularly happy about traveling, but did well.

WE MADE IT!!!

Winston is happily napping in his new cage at his new home, over 3000 miles away from his old one. I think he's making up for lost sleep.

We did the trip in 5 days and 4 nights, averaging 10 hours on the road each day. We stayed with friends the first two nights and at LaQuinta hotels the next two nights. The hotels were great because we could just let him hop around all night, which he loved. He hopped all around the floor and up onto the bed and over our heads. Sometimes he'd stop on the bed to snuggle a while before hopping all around again.

He really didn't enjoy the car, but he did fine. I got a medium sized, fold-able dog crate for the back seat (NOTE- this was GREAT except for the fact that it didn't fit THROUGH the door of the car unless it was folded. This meant that we had to transport him to and from the car in a smaller carrier. The crate was big enough for his litter box and a sleeping pillow, which 14 pound Winston appreciated). I covered the cage in a blanket to keep him in the shade.

For the most part he didn't eat, drink, pee, or poop much for the duration of the trip. He'd eat and drink a little when we were stopped, but never while we were moving. He also wasn't very good at using his litter box even though I went through the trouble of bringing it for him. He mostly peed on pillows and blankets in the cage. We made a stop at K-Mart to get extra pillows on clearance. I didn't notice any accidents at the hotels or friends houses, though. (good job, bun!)

We're still waiting on some corroplast for his new cage, and I'm keeping him locked up most of the time until the new apartment is fully bunny-proofed. When I have let him out he's explored, run around, and hopped up on the couch with me. He seems like he's settling in faster than I am!

Also - I didn't bother with the harness. All the times that I tried it at home he freaked out, and I didn't want to add more stress to an already stressful trip. He stayed in the car when we stopped for gas and food, but I made sure to park in the shade and leave windows open. Luckily we decided to do this in the fall so the temps outside weren't bad at all.

Thanks for the travel tips! We're all glad to have that 3000 mile trip over with.

-Emily

i'm stealing some of your people's ideas for when i go visit my family down south. not anywhere near being as long of a trip, but it's still quite a few hours of driving lol

So glad to see everything went well.

Just thought I'd share a picture of Winston during our travels. We stopped for steak and shake, and he stretched out. We threw out that pillow since he decided he liked it better than his litter box...

69335_620021559709_4800848_35147125_2179353_n.jpg

My, what big feet you have!!!

Thanks for updating us! I drove from LA (San Fernando Valley area) to New York (upstate- I go to Cornell) at the end of the summer over 7 days. It's a great way to see the country!
I'm glad to hear Winston was such a great little traveler.

Latest posts

Back