Cleaning litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjm84

Reaction score
Suffolk County, Long Island, New York, USA
My male bunny seems to finally be litter box trained (for peeing at least, pooping is another story). This is only as of 2-3 days ago. I want to clean his litter box, but I'm afraid if I do that he will stop going in it since it won't have his smell on it any longer. Should I wait a few more days to clean it or should I just clean it out without washing it or just completely clean it out? Sorry if this sounds silly, I just don't want to un-train him!

I wouldn't wash it out the first time. And also return a couple pebbles to a corner of the box after you've replaced the litter. Maybe even a little of the wet litter as well. Putting some pebbles in the box may help him realize where he should put them in the 1st place.

We washed out our bunny's box, but saved some of the soiled bedding and poos to put back in the clean litter box. Not a ton, just a bit so he could still smell it and hopefully remember what to do!

How dirty is it? You could just scoop out the wet litter and most of the poops. Then add some more litter and it should be fine.
I only scrub out my litter boxes once a week and I scoop them out once more (so 2 cleanings a week). I also with vinegar to clean the pee stains and it doesn't bother my rabbits anymore, they still use the litter box fine.
For the first few times you do scrub it out, add some poops and dirty litter for the smell. You should eventually not need to do that, but it can help at first.

Thanks, I think that's what I will do. Clean it out, add fresh litter and hay and then add a bit of the soiled litter back into it. It's not super dirty, but I like it clean! :biggrin:

Besides, I know he's urinated on some of the hay and I hate to keep adding fresh hay on top of dirty hay, and not knowing what's clean and dirty.

I've been trying to pick up the poops and put them in his litter box, but he still only pees in the litter box and leaves the poops all over. Not sure if this has to do with the fact that he's 6-7 months old and not neutered. I can deal with the poop though as long as the pee is making it in the litter box.

Ours all use he litter box for pee, but the other function is mostly here and there. Our shop vac gets a good workout every day. We change the boxes every day and wipe them down but they only get washed if they are over-the-top messy.

Latest posts

Back