cleaning a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmo_2005

Reaction score
i have a buck rabbit that i got a few week ago,and have been keeping him in my pet carrier until i can get a biggercage built or bought for him. i was wondering how you can clean off arabbit. he's dirty on hi under side, and i want to clean him off.

I've never had to clean a rabbit, but there areseveral other threads about it. Try doing a search onbaths.

I would also suggest that you clean the carrier several times a dayuntil you get him a bigger cage. A good, absorbent litterlike Woody Pet or Carefresh will help, too.

I just want to make sure there are no other underlying problems. Is thecarrier big enough for him to at least sit up and clean hisbackside? If not, I would strongly suggest getting him biggercarrier, if not a cage, immediately. Are all his poopsmushy? Or does he have some mushy poops and some normal hardones? Does he have urine stains? If the carrier istoo small, he won't be able to position himself correctly and will endup peeing on himself. Some health problems can cause this,too. This can cause painful skin irritation called urinescald.

Bathing a rabbit is very bad for it, they hateit. Just sponge him off where he needs it. Also avoid Pyrethrum basedrabbit shampoos as we lost a rabbit that had to be put down due tonerve damage after I used one on her. You have the right idea , get himinto a bigger cage ASAP

I know there is a recipe for a drybath. It was like a paste that you mix up, rub into the fur,and let dry. Then you brush it out. That's probablythe closest to an actual bath I would do.

Bathing a rabbit is very bad for it, they hate it.************************8

Not necessarily True with all Rabbits ,! As long asYou dry the rabbitwell so no dampnessis left in the furyou can bath them ,you use a hair dryer set on thelowest setting to do this .

Some Rabbits actually enjoy abath and the wipingdown and grooming that comeswith it .

While its been reported it as"BAD" for them no ONLY if they getstressed out and dont like it . Likeeverything you have to approch it gently , If you scarethemthe first time out, the next timeis going to be a no win fight ,

If this rabbit is that dirtyand pet wipes wont clean it youmay have NO Choice but to Bath it but itonly where dirty dont get thewhole rabbit wet.

i just got him a new cage this morning and heloves it. it's a small animal cage. i got it at wal-mart. he's beensitting up and looking around. it even has a sliding out tray so hewon't be on his poop.

I give my rabbits a bath every so often. Theoldest one doesn't seem to mind it. It also helps her when she issheding. The younger one hasn't had but two, so he's still adjusting.The older one, she just sits in the bathtub whileI get herwet. She's very patient and use to it. She seems to enjoy it honestly.

Latest posts

Back