Chilled kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franky77

Reaction score
Well the worst has happened, had a litter born last night, didn't get a chance to check on em in the morning before work just peered in the cage and noticed the Doe had made a nest so I went to work assuming they were all fine, finally did check them as soon as I got home from work in the evening to find they were all stiffened and freezing to the touch and not moving or breathing :'( I'm just on here to ask of any possible reasons for this, bc she had made a really great nest, had pulled tons and tons of fur for it, the kits were all together not spread around, and I'm doubting it's the weather bc I've had a litter born in February before where all the kits kept each other warm with each other's body heat. She was a first time mother tho, and it has been frosty in the mornings lately. Don't think it matters but it was a good sized litter, of 9. Ok, tyvm for any responses!!

Considering they were born overnight and exposed to cool temps all day, I'm not surprised at what you found. You were just lucky before. I learned my lesson the hard way once and so when I know a litter is due I always check on newborns each morning and evening. You have to watch first time moms closer because you just don't know what they'll do, or not do. What have the temps been there?

May be a little late now, but did you warm them up?

It's hard to tell if a kit is dead when it is cold, sometimes they come back to life when warmed up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back