Cherries?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
Are cherries ok as a fruit treat? I have a bag of yummy dried cherries and he looked at the bag longingly while I was enjoying myself. The HRS website doesn't say... Anyone know?

We've given our kids fresh cherries before...or rather offered them...
our kidsjust looked offended...or they nugged them for later...which left a cherry covered in bunn fur...and a bunn covered in cherry.:rollseyes
You'd have to be careful because of the amount of sugar contained in them...but atiny nibble here and there should be fine! :)

Danielle:)

I was eating granola with dried cherries & cranberries in it the other day. Shadow kept nudging the bag, so I gave her a little piece of dried cherry. She gobbled it right up, and she's just fine.

I've read on a couple of sites with lists of "bad treats for bunnies" and cherries were onquite a few of thoselists.

:?However, I'm not sure what it is about them thatmakes thembad for rabbits...

So I'd say, just to be safe, not to give them to your rabbits.

Inle_Rabbitry wrote:
:?However, I'm not sure what it is about them thatmakes thembad for rabbits...

So I'd say, just to be safe, not to give them to your rabbits.
I would say it's the sugar content.:) As I said and Inle said, stay away from the non listed ones!:)

I used to give small slices of cherries to Sebastian till I read about the amount of sugar not being good for them. Now I just give him the twigs and he goes crazy for it.

Good to know. Cherries are sooo delish... buns are just like people. They just love junk don't they? :)

I think they're fine in moderation, kinda like craisins. I was talking to someone who long ago had a pet rabbit that would eat cherries and spit out the pit!

Hazel eats cherries, both fresh and dry. She doesn't get more than half a cherry each time, and I take out the pit before giving her the fruit.

btw, there's less sugar in 100 grams of cherries (44 gr.) than in 100 grams of raisins (59 gr.) , and much less (about half the amount) than in 100 grams of craisins (70! gr.).

That's for the dried, organic cherries that I buy.

Are those #s for fresh fruit cherries or dried cherries?

The dried cherries I'm eating contain extra sugar added. Per 40g of dried cherries I am eating 25g of sugar. It's totally horrific but here I am still munching on it LOL

Toby's pawing at my toes, but he's not winning this one. ;)

Oh yeah, you can bet on that. He's already hooked on fresh banana, craisins and my specially made for Toby "Toby cookies". No way I'm getting him hooked on one more junk food.

He only is allowed 1 treat a day. Today his dad spoiled him and get him the tippy tip of his banana because he was, quote: "Too Cute!" :p

For the record of this thread, yes, tiny pieces of cherry are fine. Pitts areto berid of.

Loved the rest of the thread. Snuff LOVES freakin bananna, omg, it's nuts, haha! He also loves his stale craisens...I know, bad Momma.:p

Back