Cheers All, Potential Rabbit Owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomYorke

Reaction score
Good Evening All

My wife and I are interested in picking up a rabbit. I knowsomeone down the road in Oxford that enjoys his rabbits and such, andI've been quite fond of them whilst visiting. I have atoddler son and was wondering what experience I might expect with himif and the rab if we decide to go this way. Any thoughts?

Also, anyone know what are popular breeds in Britain?

Cheers,

T.Y.

Welcome! Toddlers can stress rabbitsout, so be certain to closely supervise. I'd advise adoptinga larger breed from a rescue rabbit organization rather than bringing ayoung bunny into a family with a toddler.

Pam

Warmest Welcome, ThomYorke! :dude:

Pamnock is our ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association) Judge, and she is the mother of many children.

To sum up what I'm saying, she knows her rabbits and kids. She knowswhat works and what doesn't, as evidenced thoughtout this forum.

Having a Polish rabbit - very small rabbit, as well as having FlemishGiant, the biggest domestic breed, I'd definitely say get the biggerbreed of rabbit. They don't seem to stress out as much.

If a rabbit undergoes a lot of stress, it can lead to a heart attack.

-Carolyn

Well, being the mother of a toddler and owningone Flemish Giant and one Mini-lop I have to say that a bigger bun isbetter. My two year old is very good with the rabbits, for the mostpart. On occasion he has tried to pick my lop up by the hair on herback :shock:, if I wasn't there for supervision all the time he couldreally hurt her on accident. He loves the bunnys and talks very highpitched to them just like me. He is very interested in the baby bunnyswe have right now. With my Flemish I have less to stress over when babeand bun are out and about. He can't really pick Ben up and if he doesget a hold of Ben, Ben doesn't seem to mind. I know that Ben can takecare of himself as well. Good luck with your search for a bun!

Fergi's mom

Welcome ThomYorke!Nice to have you aboard! Bunnies make fabulous pets but research inadvance will be well rewarded! I feel that all children benefit fromrelationships with animals but bunnies are fragile and supervisionwould be a must until your little one learned the rules. Once yourbunny and your child get on well, they will be the best of friends! Iwould say that a rescue bunny might be a good choice. My understandingis that quite often they have already had their spay/neuter operationand sometimes they have some supplies with them when you receive themalso!

RaspberrySwirl

Welcome to the boards!

If you and your wife closely supervise, I think a rabbit would be finewith a small child. Lops seem to be a mellow breed, I have one and heloves to be pet, and was very good with my neice and nephew, ages fourand seven. My other two are a Mini Rex and a Mini Rex/Lop mix, and asthey are great with my husband and I, I don't think they'd do wellaround children right now. Maybe when they're older (the rabbits thatis).

Welcome to the boards ThomYorke!

As said in the other posts kids and rabbits can be fine together longas they are supervised rabbits as you can tell in the pastposts can be extremely loveable long as the proper respect is shown tothem just like all animals.

Your friend that has rabbits are they breeders? Or are u planning ongoing thru other means to get a rabbit? If you go thru other meansshelters are a good place to start usually rabbits that have alreadybeen handled and such.

The bigger breeds seem to be the most mild tempered from what I've read :D

If your friend is a breeder and thats how your thinking of getting yourbunny that gives u the opportunity to visit the buns and pick up abunny with the personality that suits your family but dont let the cutefaces fool yas (giggles)

Marie

Thanks to all for the advice on rabs. Iwas out of town in Zurich for the weekend. A friend who doesa lot of engineer work for me keeps rabbits and its been something I'vegrown quite fond of to tell you the truth. I was prettydistrubed by rabbits growing up as there was a big disease goingthrough Britain at the time that killed tons of rabbits. Ican remember being young and seeing dead rabbits all over thehills. Quite sad. I actually still think of thatexperience from time to time. I'll pass along the info you'veprovided to Rachel and we'll go from there. She'll be takingcare of them quite a bit as I'm often away from home keeping flies outof tea.

Yes, the dreaded Myxomatosis. Thankfully, wedon't have to worry about that as much over here, like in the UK. I amnot 100% on this, but I think there are vaccinations for that now overthere. Some of our UK people would be able to tell you.

We certainly hope you get a rabbit. Your wife is more than welcome! :)

Stephanie wrote:
Yes, the dreaded Myxomatosis. Thankfully, we don't have toworry about that as much over here, like in the UK. I am not 100% onthis, but I think there are vaccinations for that now over there. Someof our UK people would be able to tell you.

We certainly hope you get a rabbit. Your wife is more than welcome! :)

Yes, there are vaccines in the UK. Rabbitpopulationsalso build up a degree of immunity over a periodof time -- hence the failed attempts to use the introduction of Myxo toAustralia to wipe out the rabbit infestation.

Myxo outbreaks occur occasionally on the west coast of the US.

Pam

Latest posts

Back