Changing hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonpie

Reaction score
Hi! I just want to ask if I can use Timothy Hay for my 3 month old bun for only 2 to 3 days? He has been using Alfalfa Hay but our supplier was delayed shipping it and I dont have any Alfalfa right now. Can I use Timothy for a bit?

If your rabbit is already on an alfalfa based pellet, there's really no need for alfalfa hay as well. In fact it can make for too rich of a diet, that could potentially cause excess cecotrope issues or bladder calcium issues. Not to mention it can make for a very picky bun when it comes to hay, and can cause a lot of difficulty switching to a grass hay when your bun is an adult and no longer should have alfalfa.

Much better to stick with feeding primarily a grass hay like timothy, in my opinion, and just a very small amount of alfalfa as a treat if desired. Hopefully your bun isn't already too spoiled eating alfalfa, and will eat the timothy without any problems.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/feeding.html
Baby rabbit diet

If your rabbit is already on an alfalfa based pellet, there's really no need for alfalfa hay as well. In fact it can make for too rich of a diet, that could potentially cause excess cecotrope issues or bladder calcium issues. Not to mention it can make for a very picky bun when it comes to hay, and can cause a lot of difficulty switching to a grass hay when your bun is an adult and no longer should have alfalfa.

Much better to stick with feeding primarily a grass hay like timothy, in my opinion, and just a very small amount of alfalfa as a treat if desired. Hopefully your bun isn't already too spoiled eating alfalfa, and will eat the timothy without any problems.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/feeding.html
Baby rabbit diet
But he is just 3 months old for timothy hay. I use alfalfa hay and Oxbow Essentials, is that okay?

But he is just 3 months old for timothy hay. I use alfalfa hay and Oxbow Essentials, is that okay?
Do you use oxbow essentials young rabbit? If you do it is made of alfalfa. So you can feed Timothy instead of alfalfa hay. I did that with my bunny when he was little. It works great!

It's ok to give young rabbits Timothy hay as long as they have alfalfa based pellets.
You just need to fully feed Timothy pellets and Timothy hay for 6 months and up.

Feeding Timothy hay now makes it easier because otherwise you have to transition from alfalfa when they are 6 months. Some rabbits don't like to transition.

Feeding Timothy hay now makes it easier because otherwise you have to transition from alfalfa when they are 6 months. Some rabbits don't like to transition.
Thank you so much! I will transition him next month because I just bought 3 boxes of SPS Alfalfa 🥲 can I also ask what cut of timothy is best for him now?

Back