Change in Poop size

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I have two bunnies and they’re housed together. I am finding little tiny pellets, but am unsure from which bunny it is coming from and what to do when I find out which Bunny it’s coming from. What would be the reason for the different size in the pellets (poop) ??

you must focus and find if all the poop are small or not and from which one
little poop usually means eating less and its REALLY important to find it fast and if one of them eating less dont wait even for 1 minute and go to exotic vet
they are at risk of serious complications such as gut stasis, a gut blockage, dehydration and liver disease
. It's extremely important to contact your vet straight away.
if vet was not available try to feed them the food they like most, if the sick one is not interested then yeah they have health issue and must be seen by vet and till then you must syringe feed him/her mushed up pallet or critical care food
Hi, I have two bunnies and they’re housed together. I am finding little tiny pellets, but am unsure from which bunny it is coming from and what to do when I find out which Bunny it’s coming from. What would be the reason for the different size in the pellets (poop) ??

Last edited:
Are these smaller than usual fecal balls and are there very many? Or could they be pieces from a cecotrope?

Are both rabbits behaving normally (no unusual lethargy), and eating and drinking normally? If one bun isn't as interested in their favorite veg or food, this is likely the bun producing the smaller than usual fecal balls, if that's what they are.

little poop usually means eating less and its REALLY important to find it fast and if one of them eating less dont wait even for 1 minute and go to exotic vet
they are at risk of serious complications such as gut stasis, a gut blockage, dehydration and liver disease
if vet was not available try to feed them the food they like most, if the sick one is not interested then yeah they have health issue and must be seen by vet and till then you must syringe feed him/her mushed up pallet or critical care food

It is normally not recommended to syringe feed a rabbit until a cause is determined, and bloat and a complete blockage are ruled out, as it can be dangerous to the rabbit to do so when either of these is the cause of a rabbits GI stasis.

They are both eating just fine and acting fine.

Normal fecal pellets (their normal poos) should be about the size of cocoa puffs cereal. If they are suddenly very small, then something is going on with the gut. One possible easy "fix" would be to encourage more hay eating. You can do this by refreshing the hay a few times throughout the day. This is often enough to get them interested in eating more hay. The hay can help get the gut back to optimal function.

This may also be a good time to take a second look at their normal daily diet. Could you describe a typical day's diet?

Normal fecal pellets (their normal poos) should be about the size of cocoa puffs cereal. If they are suddenly very small, then something is going on with the gut. One possible easy "fix" would be to encourage more hay eating. You can do this by refreshing the hay a few times throughout the day. This is often enough to get them interested in eating more hay. The hay can help get the gut back to optimal function.

This may also be a good time to take a second look at their normal daily diet. Could you describe a typical day's diet?
They have 24 seven access to rabbit food pellets, and I give them fresh hay once a day into two different litter boxes. They get fresh greens from my garden every day as well and they both are eating.

They have 24 seven access to rabbit food pellets, and I give them fresh hay once a day into two different litter boxes. They get fresh greens from my garden every day as well and they both are eating.
Fresh greens and hay is great! What type/brand of pellet food? Generally it is recommended to limit the intake of pellets for rabbits over 6 months of age. These are the recommendations by weight for rabbits getting unlimited hay (very important) and daily greens:

5-7 lb of body wt. 1/4 cup daily

8-10 lb body wt. 1/2 cup daily

11-15 lb of body wt. 3/4 cup daily

Some rabbits are able to self-regulate the amount of pellets they eat, but that is not the norm. Many rabbits will over eat the pellets or choose to eat the pellets over hay. Too many pellets can mess with the digestive tract since pellets are so nutrient dense. 80% of a rabbit's diet should be hay. Pellets should make up a mere 3% of their diet.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/feeding.html

Back