Change in Behaviour, should I be concerned?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiledreamlove

Reaction score
This may be a little lengthy as I wish to give a full picture!

Kuromi is a cashmere lop x bunny, and she lives indoors in my bedroom. She has her own large home and a run attached to it. She also gets out to have a good stretch - both around the house and outdoors in her harness, but I have to admit I am not as diligent as I should be, but she's always got access to her run during the day.

In the past month I have noticed a change. I guess it is since I gave her the run. I used to let her roam my entire room - and bunny proofed it to the best of my ability. She then started to chew my bed, and so I decided to make a big run so she couldn't get to the bed anymore. Sadly I think this is where I made the mistake as she has been moody for some time now.

The first sign of her mood change was that she started thumping really loudly. It's normally in the later hours of the night before I go to bed, and she's gotten to the point that it seems really rather demanding thumps. I normally top her food bins (hay and pellets) before going to bed each night and sometimes I get worried cos she acts like shes going to reach out and nip me, she just jumps at my hand. I try my best to not feel worry about her, cos I know she can pick up on it but sometimes I do it very fast to avoid her.

The other thing is that she's now nipped me. I guess I didn't take to it well and am more aware of her mouth. The first time was when I was sitting on the floor and was cleaning out her house (I always do this)... she was running about, trying to get in my way (as she always does lol) when she went behind me and just nipped my flesh on my - well rump I guess, haha! I got such a fright that I was rather stunned. I guess that's why I worry about being bitten again haha. Could she have been trying to groom me?

We do have a very good bond normally - she has always been a little braver than what I expected, she sleeps beside my feet, licks me, follows me about, sleeps in my lap, eats from my hands - the only thing, which I know not many rabbits enjoy, is that she doesn't like being picked up and kicks out. So I consider us good friends, and even with her attitude lately, I've not seen her completely shun spending company with me. But she is grumpy, and I'd really like to make her happy again. Today she's getting free run of the living room (bunny proofed)and is incredibly happy.

My summary is that:
- Romi is bored. She has toys, but she doesn't really play with them. I need to get her another cardboard box to play in.
- Romi is angry about the pen taking away her freedom.
- Romi is lonely. When I'm not in the room, she's in there alone/my dog is sleeping on the bed (she's in her house not in access of my dog). That reverts back to the bored /not having things to do. My two guinea pigs used to live in a separate house in the room, but they're now back outside cos its the warmer months and only come in over winter.
- Could this be diet related? I've noticed lately she's gone off her pellets and is eating more hay. It's summer here. She gets feed her greens and she's three months off of being a year old... so I've given her tiny slices of apple now and then (probably once a fortnight)... but could this be making her react?

I'm at a loss really... I've always tried my best to research things regarding my animals, and have tried looking at behavioural options... I truly think the thumping is her telling me off... telling me something is up and to pay attention to whatever it is... so I really want to listen and address her issues.

Thanks for reading this!
Chelle.

She could've bite you because you were in her space, before I spayed Samson I had to make sure she was out of her pen before I could go in there and clean otherwise she'd charge and growl and nip.

Does her new run give her enough space to burn energy?

More hay and less pellets is generally not a problem, as long as shes getting greens as well. At 9 months she only needs 1/4-1/2 cup (4-8 table spoons) per 6lbs of bunny daily, so you might be feeding too much anyway if you're topping off a bowl :)

Thanks heaps. Yes the run has enough room to burn off energy and she frequently binkies so I've always taken that as a sign of enough room to move about happily.
Didn't think about the space issue, now that I have you're right she is telling me if her house. Last time I cleaned up I locked her away and obviously had no issues.
Not over feeding in greens at least! I've always been careful to follow to guidelines on this forum regarding feed, but I tend to just top up at night when pellets/hay are low. I'm rather good at monitoring and that's Joe I noticed I wasn't filling up as much.
Thanks again!!

At her age, I would strongly recommend having her spayed. Unspayed female rabbits typically live to be about 5 yrs old (an 85% rate of uterine cancer). Once spayed they have a life span of about 12 yrs.
Spaying reduces hormonal behaviours like territorial aggression, and greatly increases litter box skills!
As someone stated, the amount of food should only be about 1/4 cup a day. Unlimited hay. Always top off the hay and give a couple treats for good behavior (or just for being them!)
I found having an unspayed bunny was a little more work bc she was never fully litterbox trained and while it was adorable that she made fur nests for the cat and was a social bunny who loved people and being in good company I felt an immense weight of guilt at the end bc she had a massive tumor (which I did not know was there, thought she was just chubby). I wish I could have time back to her adoption and have her spayed. Life lessons. I promote spaying now so others do not make the same mistake I did. The heartache is too intense.

That said, Your little Romi has a great home with you :) I can tell you love her! And she's SOOOO cute! She's just reaching a new stage in her life.

I rung the vet here that we use and is one of the best in town. Not only did they tell me it would cost me more than it did for my med-large breed dog to be spayed, but the risks were incredibly high and they don't do that surgery very often as bunnies are terrible under anesthetic. I'm terribly confused as it seems to be the norm on this forum. They urged me not to do it as it has no true need. And yet on here I read completely different stories and wonder why the veterinarian speak a different tale. I live in New Zealand and have been frowned upon by vets for keeping my guinea pigs and rabbit indoor.
Perhaps I should try and contact a vet who is more bunny based. I think there's one in town. But overall I'm seriously confused as to why there's two very different pictures happening. Are the risks truly that high??
Sorry for being a little off topic here!!

smiledreamlove wrote:
I rung the vet here that we use and is one of the best in town. Not only did they tell me it would cost me more than it did for my med-large breed dog to be spayed, but the risks were incredibly high and they don't do that surgery very often as bunnies are terrible under anesthetic. I'm terribly confused as it seems to be the norm on this forum. They urged me not to do it as it has no true need. And yet on here I read completely different stories and wonder why the veterinarian speak a different tale. I live in New Zealand and have been frowned upon by vets for keeping my guinea pigs and rabbit indoor.
Perhaps I should try and contact a vet who is more bunny based. I think there's one in town. But overall I'm seriously confused as to why there's two very different pictures happening. Are the risks truly that high??
Sorry for being a little off topic here!!
Bingo! Time for another vet.
Often vets will discourage a procedure if they cant do it.
There is nothing wrong with keeping your animals indoors, and if the vet knows what their doing there are very minimal risks. Rabbits are not usually tubed for the procedure as it can be difficult, and some vets think its risky to only have animals masked for procedures like this, as they cannot manage their airway as well. However theres never usually a problem.
Its a very safe procedure and I would highly recomend you still go through with it for her.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_post.php?post_id=887996
There some info in here under "preparing" that may help you ask a few questions to determine if the new vets you find are suitable at preforming the procedure.

Thanks! This vet was talking about how she'd need to be tubed - hence the cost being extravagant. Odd because they are exceptional vets and most people use them. Granted perhaps they are awesome for normal pets only!
Yes I chose to have mine indoor and monitor their diets. Most people over here see rabbits and guineas as grass mowers and scrap bins. Quite often to see a full broccoli in with one guinea pig and a chunk of pumpkin beside it which scares me!!
Will definitely look into another vets opinion and thanks for the link!!

Latest posts

Back