cecotropes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessieR

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am trying to litter train my two mini lops as they are inside. They have been with me since Monday so I know everything is still new to them, but they seem to have settled in well.

However, i am having an issue with one of them (not sure which - could be both) not eating their cecotropes over night, I have come to the kitchen for the 3rd morning and the cecotropes are all squished to my kitchen floor, and smell really bad! Is this something that will settle over time as they get use to their new environment & food? (I should mention i rescued these bunnies from a centre, i didnt have any changeover food, so have put them on Burgess Excel Light, as one bunny looks rather over weight. They also have lots of Hay available to them.)

Any help on the squished smelly cecotropes?

Thanks!

Jess x

From my experience with my new bun, he has been pooping all over the pen and floor but the shelter said that he was litterbox trained and he sometimes does go in there. I think it has to do with new territory. I read it doesn't necessarily mean a loss of litterbox habits, just a new territory they need to mark.

Ah, wait, I just reread your post -- they are not litterbox trained. Well, that is why you're having poop all over the place and with new territory! haha.

Just keep it up and keep cleaning... I am going through the same thing without the squished. Have to clean up after Niki 24/7.

Ahh okay! Thanks for the reply. I was worrying cause they had not been eating them! I have a feeling litter training is going to take some time haha! I have my scoop at the ready though :)!

Jess

How many are you seeing? Is it alot?

Cecotropes are not related to litter training. They are not a poop that they go to their litterbox to eat so it has nothing to do with litter training.

I ask because it could be one of a couple reasons:

It could be the overweight one. That's a very common reason for Cecotropes to not be eaten is that bunny is too fat to get to them.

If it's not that many, it could be that you might just randomly see one from one of these buns. Agnes, my Lionhead, has always occasionally left some for me to see. Archie I have never even seen him eat his. He's very private about it :) so I just think it's each buns personality.

Lastly, it could mean too rich a diet. It may mean that you need to increase hay, cut back on pellets and greens, and take out any sugary treats or fruit if they are getting those.

If this doesn't work over a couple weeks and you are still seeing lots of excess cecals then contact your vet they can test their feces to see if there's something else causing it.

Good luck!

Yep patience is the key here! I think they are peeing in the box, or atleast in their cage so we have a start, its just all the squishy poop presents im not too fond of lol ;)

Thanks Lisa!

Yes i am seeing alot at the moment, every morning there have been some left overnight, and then I tend to scoop up quiet a few throughout the day and put them in the litter box. They are not on any greens at the moment, but i have given them apple as a treat, so I will stop that for now and see if it helps. Ive tried not to give them too many pellets as I dont want to upset their tummys to much with a changeover of food so suddenly. They have lots of hay available though to munch on.

I think i will see how things are in a week or so, maybe consider popping to the vets for a check up to make sure everything is okay.

Thanks for replying :)

Jess x

how old are they? if they're still babies (2-5 mos range), it's pretty common for them to leave cecals around due to a combination of short attention span and the pellet-rich diet that young rabbits get.

Latest posts

Back