Cant afford to spay/neuter, what should i do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maskedburito

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just adopted a rabbit from a friend who couldn't care for it anymore. The rabbit is 8 months old and hasn't been spayed or neutered yet (not sure if its a boy or girl). Im a student at university and there is no way I can afford the 300$ to spay/neuter the rabbit. Im worried this is going to be bad for the rabbit or the rabbits behaviour is going to get too much. What should I do? Anyone know of any cheap neuter clinics out there?

Can you tell us where you are located? We then might be able to help you find a cheaper clinic.

I personally think rabbits need to be altered, many others think this way too. I spay/neuter my cats & dogs...rabbits are next in line, being the 3rd most dumped pet in shelters. Its better for their health & well being to be altered, IMO.

Hey, welcome.
So about the bunny..it is old enough were it will have balls if it is a boy so just flip the lil guy over and check is there is any or not. if there is which if there is you WILL see them then of course its a boy and if there isnt anything then its a girl. if you cant find any or are confused you can use the other method show here -> http://www.rabbit-guide.com/finding_out_the_sex_of_your_rabbit.html.
So after you check if its a boy or girl you will now know.
I have a male rabbit who is around 7-8 months old now and he is NOT neutered and he is as sweet as PIE!! I love him to death!!! Not all rabbits get mean or need to be spayed, lots of people do it for these main reason: Behavior, health,and not wanting babies. Rabbits are healthy either way, being fixed or unfixed. It isnt a HAVE TO DO IT kinda thing, depends on the situation and personal opinion.
So if that rabbit you have is housed alone and is not mean and has a good personality then there really is no need to spay/neuter him/her.

Hope this helps :) If you have any other questions, ask me :) I am always in chat!!

Can you put your location in your profile?

If he's a boy, no worries, he'll just be a little stinky and excitable.

If she's a girl, though, she'll be likely to get uterine tumors when she's older and past the breeding age, and they can turn cancerous. This happens more often than not. :(

Both may not have great litter habits if they're unfixed, a boy might spray. The girl may be more territorial.

Depending on your area, there may be a spay/neuter clinic or program.

But if you're patient and don't mind a little extra work -- and there's no chance of being around other unfixed bunnies -- you've got time to save up.

You're likely to still have a lovable (and loving) little pet -- especially if s/he's past the hormonal stage, which depending on the breed, is around five to eight months old.

sas :bunnydance:

Welcome to RO!
There are certainly a lot of bunnies who live long healthy lives while intact, but a lot of people notice that their altered buns are better behaved and have fewer health problems. The health concerns are primarily with female rabbits who have a fairly high incidence of uterine tumors if they're unspayed. The risks increase with age.
A lot of buns will go through a "teenaged" stage as their hormones hit which may result in a big behavior change.
It is important to consider though, if you can't afford the spay/neuter, will you be able to afford vet bills if an emergency comes up?
I'm unfamiliar with Ontario, but perhaps one of our members from there will chime in with a more cost effective option.

I dont mean to sound rude or anything...but my personal opinion is that if you cant afford the medical needs for any animal you shouldnt have it. Its definitely good that you are giving it a home though at least. But what will you do if it gets sick and needs to go the vet? vet visits can be very expensive. I have a friend who can barely pay her monthly rent and owes me money that i have lent her to help out....and yet she still keeps getting more animals...it just bugs me lol. The local humane society near me does it for 60 dollars where as with a vet around here it is 130. Maybe there is something like that near you. Like people have said spaying/neutering isnt something that you HAVE to do if your rabbit is by itself..but it would be healthier for it. I would definitely start saving up a bit though for an emergency fund if anything happens to him/her and you need to make a vet visit. Good luck! :)

I agree with Zyzra.

Just to give you an idea...In the spring of 2008 I had vet bills around $200. In August of 2008 Finley's vet bills were a bit over $400. In November of 2008 they were $375. So within about 6 months, that's nearly $1,000 in vet bills.

That doesn't happen all of the time, but it can hit you like a ton of bricks all at once. We were doing really well, and then last month Teagan's vet bills broke the record and came in at $540 for a single visit (emergency holiday prices - eek!).

Ya, typically it's not that crazy. But it *can* be. And if you can't afford it...well, it's something to think about.

Some vets consider rabbits "exotics" and charge more for their care. I know my "exotic" rabbit checkups run 50-60$. My rabbits neuter was around 100$ but some of the clinics in my city(Edmonton,AB) wanted 300$+ to neuter a rabbit.

Definitely call around and ask all the clinics in your city, each will have a different price. Also call the local shelters/spca/humane society in your city. Some of them offer spay/neatuer clinics and will do it for cheaper.

I"m definitely one of those people that believes its best to get your bun spayed or neutered. If you can't afford it now save up for it. Also, start a "vet" fund as eventually you may need to see a vet and you need to be prepared to pay for it.

Zyzra wrote:
I dont mean to sound rude or anything...but my personal opinion is that if you cant afford the medical needs for any animal you shouldnt have it. Its definitely good that you are giving it a home though at least.

Zyzra, this is not a judgmental board, and your comments are not valid, regardless. The post was asking about an optional procedure with a very caring eye for research.

Nothing was said about not being able to find the resources if the rabbit was in danger.

The information about potential high vet costs has been passed on, thank you, I hope that concludes this portion of the thread.

Maskedburito, thanks so much for giving this unwanted bunny a home. Had the original owner decided to just 'set it free' or give it up to a city shelter (the rescues would be unlikely to take an owner surrender), the outcome for the little guy/girl could have been quite different.

Pipp wrote:
Zyzra wrote:
I dont mean to sound rude or anything...but my personal opinion is that if you cant afford the medical needs for any animal you shouldnt have it. Its definitely good that you are giving it a home though at least.

Zyzra, this is not a judgmental board, and your comments are not valid, regardless. The post was asking about an optional procedure with a very caring eye for research.

Nothing was said about not being able to find the resources if the rabbit was in danger.

The information about potential high vet costs has been passed on, thank you, I hope that concludes this portion of the thread.

Maskedburito, thanks so much for giving this unwanted bunny a home. Had the original owner decided to just 'set it free' or give it up to a city shelter (the rescues would be unlikely to take an owner surrender), the outcome for the little guy/girl could have been quite different.

Sas dont shoot me ;) I know this owner is now thinking about this possiblitly sense the subject has been brought up.

http://www.petinsurance.com/plans-and-coverage/exotic-pets.aspx

This is Storm pet insurance. It cost me 137 for a whole year. And it has already paid for itself four times over. Even if you have to save or wait tell tax season. I would recommand. Getting this I could not have afforded have the vet visit with storm I've had.

Oh and about the spay and Neuter I would start saving if you cant find a vet to do it for cheap even if it 5 bucks one month 20 the next and 10 the nex it will add up quicker then you think.

Or check your local humaine society. Myne does this thing where if you need help with spay and nueter. You just do a adoption thru them. So you pay the adoption fee. And get them spayed and nuetered microchipped.

Also tell your story when you call the humane societys or SPCA you saved a animal they will be more willing to help.

Kat:bunnydance:

Mrs. PBJ wrote:
Pipp wrote:
Zyzra wrote:

Sas dont shoot me ;) I know this owner is now thinking about this possiblitly sense the subject has been brought up.

http://www.petinsurance.com/plans-and-coverage/exotic-pets.aspx

This is Storm pet insurance. It cost me 137 for a whole year. And it has already paid for itself four times over. Even if you have to save or wait tell tax season. I would recommand. Getting this I could not have afforded have the vet visit with storm I've had.

Oh and about the spay and Neuter I would start saving if you cant find a vet to do it for cheap even if it 5 bucks one month 20 the next and 10 the nex it will add up quicker then you think.

Or check your local humaine society. Myne does this thing where if you need help with spay and nueter. You just do a adoption thru them. So you pay the adoption fee. And get them spayed and nuetered microchipped.

Also tell your story when you call the humane societys or SPCA you saved a animal they will be more willing to help.

Kat:bunnydance:

I am glad you posted Kat...

I didn't because I dont want to start or continue an issue that shouldn't be, but as an out of work mom who lives off of disability and child support, I dont have tons of money to blow on the vet and yet I always managed something... In a year and half I spent an awful lot on Simon....I wish I had known about this insurance...all the ones I looked at seemed to be only for cat or dogs etc...

Thanks for posting about it Kat

Sheesh! Stick to the question people!! You should try to find a rabbit savvy vet that's a little more affordable. Our vet knows all our bunnies are rescues, so, we get a break on examines and medicines. When we lived in California, the only vet in town wanted $350 for a female and $300 to do a male. I found a vet in town that did the male's for $90 and one 20 minutes away that did the females for $125. I prefer to get mine all fixed--cuts the spraying and behavioral issues way down and the bunnies seem a little better for it, too.

Maybe...just maybe there are vets that have payment plans...We had one in town a few years back that did that...IDK, just a thought

Just be careful that whatever vet you go with is qualified. Sometimes the vets that cost more have more experience (but that's not always the case). Basically don't just go with the cheapest option - ask the same questions.

Saving up money every month is a good idea as well.

Hey Burrito...

We live in Guelph and go to the Rockwood Vet Clinic just outside of the city...they would be a bit of a drive for you...but the last time we had to do neuters it was $80 plus options like heart monitoring, blood testing, pain management, taxes, etc...which are extra...so think more along the lines of $150-$175.

Dr. Roberts is the vet that usually sees rabbits...and he is very knowlegeable. Even better he listens too. When our one rabbit had an abscess we discussed at length the best way to aproach his treatment...I had reams of paper with me all about abscesses and he looked at all of them. He ended up doing a blunt excision of the abscess and it healed fully and beautifully...it was on our rabbits cheek very near his eye and afterwards you couldn't tell he had ever had anything done! The abscess had ruptured into our bunns ear canal and he even managed to suture and re-structure the ear canal itself...he is an excellent vet! He has done some very difficult surgeries on rabbits and is one exceptional rabbit vet. We don't let anyone else see our bunns.

Their contact number is 519-856-9002. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call and see if they are taking new patients...or if they are willing to even just do the spay/neuter for you...They are always really booked though!

Danielle

:eek: I can't really help you out all that much, but I live not too far from Kitchener xD
Welcome to the forum :)
Actually there is someone in Simcoe who does cheap spay/neuters. I will get thei address and stuff for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back