Can rat mycoplasma be transferred to rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeytonCara

Reaction score
I have a four month old male holland lop named Crixus. I also have two elderly rats who are suffering from a really horrible respiratory infection. I spend a lot of time with all three of them and Crixus is always out of his cage, and even spends a lot of time by the rat cage. The most common cause of respiratory infections in rats is called mycoplasma pulmonis and I have read a lot about it but cannot get a definite answer. I have noticed my rabbit sneeze a few times today (maybe two or three times). Am I being paranoid or can this spread between speicies?

Not as far as I am aware. If it's any help, I've had rats and rabbits sharing a room for years, and never had a respiratory problem with rabbits. :)

not quite the same thing, but one of my sugar gliders has a bacterial infection in her gut and the vet assured me I didn't have to worry about it being transferred to my hamsters or bunnies because that stuff's typically species-specific. I wouldn't be surprised if the respiratory infection was the same way.

what everyone else said. It is not passable. I have rats that need meds forever because of it and my bunny hasn't gotten anything.

Latest posts

Back