Can guinea pigs give a rabbit mange mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
I have 5 rescued GP's -- two pairs, and onesingle. Three of them came to me with severe mange mites (some membersmay remember the story and pictures of Emma and Charlie). Well, they'rehoused in a separate bedroom, and last time they all had a breakout, Ididn't have any rabbits housed in there. I treated the guinea pigs withivermectin, but low and behold, one got it and now all 5 have it again.Minor cases, and I am starting the ivermectin up again.

My concern is, Chance, Thumper and my newest foster Lily are housed inthat bedroom at the current moment. Chance is housed the closest to theGP's, but I just went and moved his cage.

I THINK I've heard that guinea pig mange mites are host specific andcan pass from GP to GP, but not to any other animals. They are a[bleep] to treat, not to mention the treatment is extremely dangerous,so I really don't want the rabbits to get this.

Can anyone confirm or deny that the mites can be passed from GP's to rabbits?

Although Trixacarus caviae prefer cavies, the parasite can be transmitted to rabbits and humans as well as other animals.

Pam

*Thud*

Considering that they were just housed next to each other, but weren'tin the same cage together, what are the odds of Chance contracting it?

And just by being housed in the same room, though on opposite sides ofthe room, is there any chance of the others contracting it?

The parasite spreads primarily through directcontact, but eggs canbe transmitted inadvertently to otheranimals. I would keep a close eye on chance because he wasclose and because his immune system is compromised.

The mites could have also been spread to the other rabbits if youhandled the cavies and then the rabbits or any bedding or other objectsin their area.

Pam

Latest posts

Back