Cage Options - Your opinions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weetwoo_89

Reaction score
Here I am agian, looking for your :twocents.

So I have serveral ideas about cages. (At this point, everyone says "Weknow, Rachel, you have told us before..." sounding very unamused.) So Iam going to tell you about the two I am considering now, or rather myidea and then a 'what-if' happened.

So me Dream cage is going to require me to have 97 nic cubes-at the very minimum, more then 8 ft long (98"), almost 4 ft deep(42"),and almost 4 ft. wide (42") (My buns are going to be little stinkers, Ican already tell ^.^). Now is where you guys are like "97?!?!! Jeez youonly want two Holland Lops. What are you going to do, never let themout?" (Nope they will be out when I am not a school and work. But sincethere will be school and work, I didn't want anyone to feel cramped.And besides, I like to go overboard on these kind of things. I don'tthink the buns will mind it. They will be more like this I think...:woohoo

But then I started thinking, what if I just bought less (oreven the same amount) and made a giant x-pen. The pros are they wouldhave more room, the cons are they may not feel like they have a "theirspot". I would really like to know what you/yourbuns prefer.(Note: If I built the dream cage they would have a pen outside it, forwhen I couldn't be the totally supervising mom, but it wouldn't be nearas big as if I just made the pen.) So what do you think?

Oh you are great! :D

Don't tell my girls, if they hear that you're planning on making amansion.. they'd pack up and take a trip to Tennessee ;). I am hopingto make a 4 x 8 as well once the girls are bonded too.

I guess my cages are more like a pen, and my girls LOVE them. Not sureabout a their spot, but my girls definitely have made their cages theirhome! :D I think that if you have the room, a 8 x 4 would be awesome!They would definitely love to race around in that!

Those were my thoughts exactly. Iknew they would love to race around in a giant mansion, but I haveheard tale of some buns liking to have no cage and just a huge ring torun around in. I think personally, I would feel better knowing that Icould close them up in a cage when I was gone. I would have nightmaresabout them being able to get out of a pen. But I have seen some goodones.
I am so excited, planning out the different cages andthinking about toys, food, treats, pens for some outside supervisedfun. My boyfriend keeps saying, "You know Rae, a person wouldthink that you were getting these bunnies next week instead ofChristmas." (Of course, he just likes to pick on me because I know thathe is excited too, if for no other reason then he loves lop-earedbunnies.He can't fool me... ^.^)

I have been reading about rabbits digging today. I wonder ifanyone has gotten like the green covered 'turtle' (or whatever it issupposed to be) sandbox and put dirt in it? It might be a potentiallygood idea. (If anybody that reads this has done it, let me know how itworked out, okay?)

Wow...97. I know, you are going to be hearingthat a lot but i couldn't help but say it ;) I have an NICcage too, and wondered more than once if my bunny would like it more ifi just took it all apart and made a big pen. I don't really know whichwould be better, but another choice you have with 97 cubes is a niceNIC cage, with an empty opening that leads into a large enclosed pen.That way they have a large open space and a homey enclosure. Just anidea :)

Personally, I prefer the idea of a cage theycan't jump out of and nothing else can jump into. Also, theNIC gives the option of shelves which mine certainly enjoy.

My vote goes to cage too!:)

I don't really like the idea of a big pen:?Although when I amolder and living on my own, I will have a huge bunny room where theyhave no cages, just some hidey spots:D

Thanks for all the input. I thinkthere will certainly be a cage. I would love for it to be my "dream buncage" with a large pen around it and/or attached to it. But there hasto be doors, as they would have to be closed in during the day. If theyweren't, I would fret that the cats would find some way into the room.>.> I really like learning about what you guys use asyour cages/pens/etc and what you think will work. The best learning isfrom expirence!

<3,
Rae:colors:

My mom is looking for batteries if she does Iwill post pics of the one we just built this weekend.:shock:Huge. Two grown adults can sit in it and play with herone rabbit!

I will describe till I get pictures. Ok it is4long 4wide 4 deep. it has a shelf go along one side and the back. BahI need pics I am horrible at describing things when I want to.

Here is a picture. Not a very good picture, but maybe I can use it to explain...

The purple color is where the doors opening will be. I willhave doors set up so that I can pretty much crawl into wherever I needto be. Ugg, this is really messy. I need to draw up a niceone, but this was just quick. Maybe it won't be too confusing....Or sogiant it streches the post. If it is, I am sorry! *looks frantic*
But maybe that will give you a general idea of what I amthinking. You must remember this is cage without pen attached/in thedrawing. Have fun with my mess.

<3, Rae
P.S. The circles at the bottom are me considering wheels for thebehemoth. also there is a little line for the coroplast/ whatever Iused for the floor. *shakes head* I am so confusing....>.>
DreaminBig.jpg

I like but make sure you can clean it easy.

That is something I have thought about whilemaking this. It is going to have a ton of doors so that I can get toeverything. I wonder if having as many as I want would make itunstable. I wish there were more rabbit people around me. Not that thisforum hasn't been amazing, but I would like to go see what theydo/don't do. I learn best hands-on. I think it will be amazing. Mightneed a bit of tweaking, but I will figure it out...Hopefully. ^.^

Latest posts

Back