Cage Issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddie_20

Reaction score
So I built an NIC cage for my two new babies.. however they don't like going onto the second level.. i don't get it:( i have placed a towel and made it comfortable for them and they still aren't going there.. any suggestions?

I am planning on moving them down to the basement and creating a bigger pen area so that they can go and come out of their cage as they please and my parents aren't going to shoot me for letting them run all over the carpet.. i have created a pen area outside in my backyard for them to run around but they don't seem to do much of that either... but they love to run around my room..

Any suggestions I want to make their new cage a happy place for them....

Thanks
Maddie

It may take time for them jump up. Just give the time. :biggrin2:

You could try putting some pellets or veggies on the level for them. CJ wouldnt jump up to his level at first but after a couple of days he hopped up and loved it.

Same here... Barney and Snowy were slow to catch on with the levels at first, but when I put the 2 other bunnies (the other bunnies that they live with, Mouse and Chalk), they were up there in no time! :shock::p

Just give it some time, they'll figure it out eventually!

Other ideas for making it comfy and homely for them- toys- an empty loo paper roll (stuffed with hay is good), willow balls/toys. a cardboard box with a couple of holes cut out for hiding/sleeping in.... :)

Just to echo what others have said, it takes time. It took our rabbits at least a month before they felt comfortable going up on the second level. I think they are just careful, wary animals that need time in order to feel safe.

I had to put out "Craisins" to get Baxter! up to the 2nd level of his pen, but once he got it into his mind that the "Bunny Crack" was to be had there, now have to give him a craisin ALL of the time..

Becareful in your "bunny drug" of choice - LOL!

Worked for mine - so update what works for you! Good luck!

Lola's cage is a NIC three level....she had no problem hopping up....what we discovered was...she couldn't get down!

so we had to make ramps that would take her from one level to the next...once we did that...she went up and down without a problem!

what do you use to keep the door shut?

I've seen them with zip ties...but it seems like you would go through alot of ties that way!

we use three large butterfly binder clips--one at the top and two on the side (door is two panels high)

I use mini-carabiners to keep the doors shut

(aka, mountain climbing clips; should be at your dollarstore on the ends of keychains)

Maddie, my Stu couldn't jump up until I ziptied some pegboard down securely on the second level, and added a mat(ziptied down too). They seem to need something to grasp that is secure... If the blanket is loose, they might be worried about sliding?

hey guys,

Well i have had success with my buns using the second level ... one of them loves it! sleeps only there.. I didn't even have to put anything there.. just a towel and they sleep on it perfectly...

I was so excited when I walked in and saw one of them up there.. and this morning both were up there:)

Just thought I would let everyone know of my recent success with them:) they finally love their home:)

Maddie

Yay! That's great news! :D

Barney and Snowy were exactly the same with their levels- but now they love to sleep right up top all the time.

It's so nice to see them happy in their homes isn't it? :)

oh it totally is! i love seeing them happy.. i saw them doing binkies the other day and i was sooo excited! i had never seen that that happy before!

Latest posts

Back