Buying NIC Cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that Lisa (agnes's mom) bought her NIC cage. I remember looking at the site she got it from and it was MUCH cheeper than the one you are looking for.

Hi there. Lauren is right. I did buy our NIC cage. It was about $220 including shipping and bigger than that one (a whole other floor)

Here is the link. We got the purple one on their home page. Except we got steps instead of ramps (takes up less space and doubles as tunnels) you can see more pics of our cage on my blog. Also, they have other sizes on their website too.

http://wonderlandcages.com/WONDERLAND_CAGES_GUINEA_PIG.html

thank u lisa! Is the coroplast slippery? How is the quality? I like the one on ebay bc it has carpet, wood floor bottom and casters. But it is a bit pricey.

mine don't mind plain coroplast... you can also get some fleece and use binder clips to attach it to the coroplast (walmart has cheap fleece blankets for under $3 that fit a 2x3 grid floor perfectly)

My rabbits are housed on coroplast and are just fine. I buy these bath tub stickers (you can get them at the $1 store). They provide traction. Like Jennifer said, you could also use fleece.

Yes the coroplast is slippery so you will need something to cover it. I use baby blankets but fleece would work good too.

It also is chewable. Agnes has chewed a couple parts which freaked me out but she stopped it was only when she first moved in.

There are pros amd cons to both. I also looked at the one you are talking about. It probably is a bit sturdier but it is pricier amd cleaning would be a pain.

Coroplast is super easy to clean and you can remove the whole floor for cleaning and obviously launder the blankets.

It just depends on what you are looking for. Weigh the pros and cons of both.

Good luck!

you all have been very helpful. Thank you for info. Its gonna be a tough decision. I know June would love to have a bigger condo.

I still suggest just buying the panels and paying a child/hubby/wife/grandkid to build it for you :D so you can buy more toys for Junie.

But regardless, that does look pretty nice. I'm making a bottom for Cosmo's cage with masonite board and a cheap tablecloth, since the tarp I'm using is a b*tch to clean D:

they really are super easy to make (if you use coroplast, the only tools you need are box cutters or an exacto-knife and a pair of scissors (in case you need to cut a misplaced ziptie)).

if you go the DIY route or sucker someone into assembling it for you, the best deal anyone has found on grids lately is sears - http://www.sears.com/stor-floor-sta...p-00913332000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
(order online for the sale price/do site-to-store to avoid outrageous shipping fees).

you could do a 2x4x2 condo with a partial second level using two boxes of grids. a basic condo complete with flooring and fleece should run you $80-$100 tops. mine cost about $150, but I paid a little more for the grids, had to buy four dowels for stability due to all the levels, spent $39 on shiny purple coroplast and bought a 1000 zip-tie pack for $18 (ended up with plenty left over, but was still cheaper than buying the dinky little 100-tie packs and I was able to renovate the condo a few times :p).

you could probably pay a neighbor kid to put one together and still come out ahead compared to buying one (especially since shipping's gotta be brutal! - shipping on the ebay one is over $50 to San Antonio)

here's my mansion of a condo that cost less than the ebay one and is a heck of a lot bigger:

DSCF0411.jpg

I agree that you should make one yourself. I have made 2. Each one only took 1.5hrs to build. I did it mostly myself with a little bit of help from my mom. I think that you can do it yourself even. The thing that takes the longest is zip tying the pannels together. I think that I spent under $50 to build BOTH of mine. I already had all the pannels that I needed. I just had to buy coroplast (found at Home Depot near the plexyglass). 1 8'x4' sheet cost $10-$12. The only other thing that I needed was zip ties for 1 of the condos. (We had most of the stuff laying around at my parents house.) I find it fun, easy, and relazing to build these.

I like to keep things simple and cheap.:biggrin2: I never purchased coroplast for NIC cages I made. Neither did I purchase plywood. I figured I really wouldn't be moving the cage so why not take the easy route. I just bought a length of rolled linoleum, laid it over the carpet, and voijla!, a cage floor. For the upper levels I just used scrap carpet. So, yes, it was really easy to make. A 2x2 could've been used to hold up the middle level (you just slip it through the squares). I happened to have a metal shelf thingy, so I just used that.
Here's a photo:
2wq6emg.jpg

95y4jl.jpg

www.guineapigcages.com click on the store tab at the top of the page

They sell all the things needed to make a cage and also give helpful tips in finding supplies locally as well.

luvthempigs wrote:
Suzette, Your cage and the area it's in look nice :)
Well, thank you. :)

That was actually a number of years ago. We no longer live there and those bunnies have gone to rainbow bridge. :(

I'm glad I took photos of the cage though.;)

I agree Suzette awesome cage! I've been considering a different floor other than coroplast. Scrap carpet is a great idea.

Might have to do a cage redecorate soon!

sorry it took so long to reply. After seeing jennifer and suzettes cages i think im going to try and make one myself. You have convinced me . I'm going to go check out sears this weekend and see if they have the cubes. I think it will be fun now!

Latest posts

Back