Bunny tummy bump

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meeka85

Reaction score
Hey there,

I brought home an 8 week old male mini lop bunny on Saturday. Named him Orion and he is just as can be. He has a lot of energy, is pooping and peeing, drinking water, eating, seems completely normal.

When I was tucking him in for the night last night, I noticed on his belly, around where we would have our belly button, there was a hard spot. It kind of feels like something is in there, something hard. It is smaller than a quarter as far as I can tell. Anyone know if this could be something normal in young rabbits, perhaps where his umbilical cord was? I will be taking him to the vet in a couple days when I can get the time off work. Thank you in advance :)

Erin

It could be the umbilicus but there's a possibility it could be some sort of abscess or hernia. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I would mention it to the vet when you go.

meeka85 wrote:
Hey there,

I brought home an 8 week old male mini lop bunny on Saturday. Named him Orion and he is just as can be. He has a lot of energy, is pooping and peeing, drinking water, eating, seems completely normal.

When I was tucking him in for the night last night, I noticed on his belly, around where we would have our belly button, there was a hard spot. It kind of feels like something is in there, something hard. It is smaller than a quarter as far as I can tell. Anyone know if this could be something normal in young rabbits, perhaps where his umbilical cord was? I will be taking him to the vet in a couple days when I can get the time off work. Thank you in advance :)

Erin
--hi,erin.-be concerned until you know,,error on the side of safety...when the exotic dvm examines orion she will likely want a radiogragh-or-a biopsy--and it may be well worth it,-..rabbits (prey animals)-are stress animals-this lump could trigger other major problems /-nip it in the bud...sincerely james waller--:big wink::innocent

Went to vet yesterday (and I also know now that Orion is a she lol). Vet thinks that it is a wound probably caused by a sibling or parent. Orion also has an upper respiratory infection so she's getting antibiotics and the vet said it should take care of both problems :)

Sorry keep forgetting! I will post some of her wound when I get home from work. Gotta get her to hold still long enough though :)

Latest posts

Back