Bunny surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAXX55

Reaction score
We took in an abandoned bunny in August 2005. Not knowing how attached we got to her, she’s been the spotlight in our life for the past five years.:) We never expected to get like this, maybe with a cat or dog but a bunny, never. Her name is Cuddles. Bunnies are so amazing. She is white with a few brown patches mixed about. One patch on her head looks like she is wearing headphones. We ran into a health problem with her at the end of June, 2010 and it has us a nervous wreck. We need some guidance.

One morning I noticed red urine as she was peeing. Not to panic, I checked on line about this condition and read not to panic, this happens, especially with greens in her diet. We took her to the vet with a urine sample.

He examined her, heart, lungs, and a few other things and being five years old had excellent vitals except she was one pound overweight for her size. The bad news was it was blood in her urine. We treated it as a urinary tract infection. Days later after being on antibiotics (Trimethoprim) there weren’t any changes. Blood was still present. Then we had x-rays taken. Bladder and kidneys looked ok but the uterus was slightly enlarged. We then treated her with steroids (Prednisone) and a different antibiotic (Enrofloxin). The blood stopped for about a week. As we slowly backed off of the steroid, blood was present again. We kept bringing a urine sample weekly to monitor the blood and this time there was more then we expected. We needed to do something. We didn’t want her to bleed to death.

Next step was surgery. We took a chance and apparently it was the right move. There were three larger lumps in her uterus. It was removed along with the ovaries. We’re waiting for the biopsy report to see if the lumps are benign.

It’s been 5 days since the operation and my bunny is totally opposite of how she was before the operation. Her incision healed up beautifully but she won’t come by us anymore. She sits in her pen facing the other way at times. She seems to want to come by us but she seems scared. We have to hand feed her. She will only eat a few strands of timothy hay. She won’t eat any of her pellets. We need to hold water in front of her to drink. We now have her on a Vitamin supplement. She will eat some home grown parsley and romaine lettuce but that’s about all. Is this normal for a bunny that’s been the happiest bunny in the world?

Glad your bun is doing better. This is a classic case of what happens when non-breeding does are not spayed. It is basically an overdose of hormones similar to endometriosis. And if not contain it can become malignant. Hopefully it was caught early and will not cause any future problems.

Just a side note on the drugs...for future reference for everyone. Trimethoprim is a sulfa drug and is not usually appropriate for use in rabbits. It is not very effective against most bacteria and can cause some serious GI issues. Enrofloxacin (Baytril) has been so misused over the years that it is not usually very effective. The use of steroids is usually avoided by most vets these days. They are usually administered as a drug of last resort in trauma cases. Rabbits do not have a strong immune system and steroids suppress the immune system. Not something you would want if you have an infection or otherwise compromised animal of any species.

Hope things continue to improve for your bunny.

Randy

Her behavior may be from pain from the surgery. Did they give you pain meds to administer to her at home? I'm so glad that you figured out what was wrong.

Randy, Thanks for the info. A little more history on Cuddles. When we first rescued our treasure back in 2005, wedidn't know much about bunnies.We needed to see a vet in 2006 because she had a hairball. We had asked that vet about spaying and we were told this is very dangerous and not recomended. At that time this particular vet saw all kinds of pets. Since then he eliminated all pets except cats and dogs. WE WERE MISLED about spaying.... otherwise we would have thought about it then.There'sa lot to know about bunnies and alot of info out there on them. My next question is this. Who do you believe?Where is a good source of info?

Before joining Rabbits Online I read stories in "The Infirmary" and was very impressed with many answers. I will continue reading them and hope I can give some advice on what I learned from Cuddles.

MAXX55

I'd look around to see if there's a more rabbit-savvy vet in your area. I'm a total layperson but my first guess with an unspayed female would have been a uterine issue seeing as something like 80% will develop tumours as they age.

I would have recommended antibiotics and a spay from the get-go, which could have taken care of most of the potential issues and prevented a future issue even without uterine tumors being currently present.

The steroids were not a good idea and a waste of money IMO.

sas :twocents:

I asked if we need pain meds for home but the vet said it could be dangerous if not administered correct. He did give her an injection that would last into the next day but once that wore off she seemed worse. Meanwhile as the days went by after the surgery, she was not eating or drinking on her own. We needed toput water or pellets in front of her nose.90% of the trys she would turn up her nose. Somehow we felt she was still in pain.

We did contact our vet about the situation and he said her not eating is what's causing her moodsor what we called pain. He gave us a Vitamin Supplement to force feed her and believe it or not it is seeming to change her ways for the better.

Thanks for your reply.

Every bit of info will be etched in my mind.

Unfortunately this is the only rabbit-savvy vet within a 50 mile radius. Our current vet did want to do surgery from the get go butafter reading tons of info online we ourselves were looking for something easy.We thoughtit was a urinary tract infection.

I guess if we weren't mis-led five years ago from another vet (who only sees cats and dogs now) whotold us it's a very dangerous operation and did not recommend it, we would have gotten her spaded then.

For now we're waiting for the test results to come backto see if the 3 lumps he found are cancerous.

Thanks for your reply and i'll keep everyone updated on the results...:pray:

Very Addictive. She is improving at a fast rate for a 5 year+ bunnie.

Gotta tell Cuddles she has bunny friends from Vegas. This is our favorite vacation spot since 1998. We visit every year.

Glad your bunny, Cuddles, is doing better. I have a cat over at my mom's place named Cuddles. Anyway, surgery is dangerous, but the benefits outweigh the risks. Especially in spaying/neutering.

Just an update on Cuddles. The Vet called earlier this week with the results on the hysterectomy. The three tumors found in the uterus were cancerous.The good news is the cancerwas confined in the uterus and did not break through the uterine wall.Our vet feels we caught this in time. Cuddles is back to normal.:)

:bunnyheartThanks to all for your time, advice, and concerns.

Did you look through the list of rabbit saavy vets in your state ?

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11628&forum_id=9

Now that she is doing better you may want to try to find a vet who is a step up from the one that you have been seeing
Most rabbit saavy vets would have suspecteduterine cancer right away as it is very common in unspayed females. As others statedearlier the early treatments just wasted time and money.
I am glad that she came through the surgery well :)

Spaying a rabbit is only dangerous to vets who have had little training and experience in doing it . When you look for a vet to do surgeries it is always important to know if they do a high volume of rabbits and also what their fatality rate is.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html#surgery

My vet, Dr Crawford, did Sweetie's spay. It was his very first, but he did extensive preparation for the spay. Sweetie has had no problems since her spay back in January 2010.

Also I wanted to add that if the inexperienced vet won't do extensive preparation before the spay, definitely go to someone more experienced.

So glad to hear that she had the surgery and although they found cancer it wasn't spreading.

Latest posts

Back