Bunny seems sad?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeytonCara

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I know this might sound crazy but I feel like my rabbit feels sad and I don't know why. He does have a slight case of pasteurella, but it is currently not acting up at all, and I can tell when it's about to come on and this isn't it.

He still has his appetite, stool is normal, drinking is normal, and he is not sleeping anymore than usual. It is just his overall personality that seems to be down.

Crixus gets hours out of his home everyday, and has many many toys and always gets loves and pets. He loves to groom me back, and we usually spend a good portion of his time out just snuggling and him licking me back. But for the last couple days he just seems distant. I can't really put it in words, but he seems really sad. You can see it in his body language. As soon as I go to him he instantly starts licking me as usual, but he won't come to me like he usually does. There's no other way to put it besides he seems down in the dumps and I'm not sure why or what to do. Everything he does just seems "Blah". Even when he's playing.

Any advice is appreciated!

On the one hand, bunnies, like people have moods and can get into a bit of a "funk" now and then... on the other hand, bunnies hide illness incredibly well and sometimes the tiniest signs are the only signs.

The fact that his eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, activity level and responsiveness are all completely normal is an excellent sign and you're most likely safe playing things by ear for now. However, in a situation like this, it's imperative to trust your "bunny mommy/daddy" instincts to help you interpret possible signs that your bunny is trying to tell you he doesn't feel well. If something inexplicable starts urging you to get him checked out, then you should get him checked out.

The only reason I haven't taken him in yet is because everything else is normal so far, but I have been watching him like a hawk. Lol. I have been really stressed and down lately with finals and school, and my rat just passed away, maybe he is just picking up on my attitude, if that's even possible. Thank you for responding!

So sorry about your rat, and school :( I would say to just keep a close eye on him. Rabbits behavior can start to change because of a health problem, but it may not be progressed to the point where there is a lack of appetite or changes in the poop. I would think that if this continues and he doesn't pick back up after a few days, it might be good to get a vet check.

He definitely could be picking up on changes in you (maybe you just don't taste as good as you used to). Any other changes around the house? Maybe it's gotten colder or warmer?

Was the rat kept in the same room as him (or in a room open to him during his free-roam time)? If so, it's possible that he's aware that the rat died or notices its absence (missing cage, no "rat" noises). Even if it was in a different room, he could be picking up on your sadness and/or on your stress about school.

I agree with JBun - keep an eye on him and get him to the vet if he's not back to himself after a few days.

Thanks everyone, and yeah. My furnace recently broke, so the temp of my house has quickly dropped, the night it broke I went out and bought a space heater for my room to keep him warm. It's already fixed so the house is back to normal. And he also stayed in the same room as the rat. I only had her for a month, she was very very old and had many health issues. I saw her in a shelter and I knew I couldn't let her live out her last days in a cage so I took her home and gave her lots of love. He didn't like her much because he gets jealous easily and since she had so many special needs I had to spend a lot of time with her. Maybe he was mad because of that, not sure. Finals, the furnace, and her death, and my down mood all happened within a few days of each other so it's hard to say what it could have been.

On the bright side, finals are over and I am feeling much better, and Crixus has already turned back to "normal" :D I am still keeping an eye on him, it's about time he goes in for a visit anyways so I will probably take him in soon just to get a check up. (I usually go in about every 2-3 months so the vet can monitor his pasteurella).

Latest posts

Back