Bunny Pix: Need Identity & Name Ideas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissKissKiss

Reaction score
http://myfurkids.webs.com/bunny.htm

Hi I am new to the rabbit world. I just adopted my first rabbit! He is a super cute Lionhead. What color and pattern is he? Single or double mane? I am thinking about entering him in a rabbit show for fun. The pet store lady told me he was only 6 weeks old but wouldnt grow much bigger. I think she must of meant 6 months old, because he looks older than that. My dad said he had to of been at least 2 months. She also told me it was a girl but turned out to be a boy!!! So I do not know if I can trust what she says. Because of that I had given him a girl's name, Trixy, and he started to learn it. But now I gotta change his name!! Any ideas? I want something to match his looks. I like uniqueor funny names.

What a cutie! His hair doesn't really look crimped so I'm guessing a single mane (Come on Peg- correct me if I am wrong). I also believe his color is called magpie harlequin or is he a broken? Either way there is one word for him- CUTE.

Awe thanks! He is my cutie bunny! He coloring is so neat. He looks like a Blue Merle Collie dog. How can I tell the difference between magpie harlequin and broken?? It ranges from very pale blue to dark blue splashes of color.

Hmmm If he is Harlequin...it would be cute to name him Harley Quinn. (like joker's gf from the old batman series) I could just call him Harley for short.

Very cute bunny. I believe he is a single mane. I have a lionhead named Sweetie and she is a single mane lionhead. I don't know if you can tell from my avatar or not but she is the black bunny.

Ok...I've looked at the pictures and declare him....

ADORABLE...

I'm torn between two things - he looks like he could be a magpie harlequin which is sorta a black and white version of a harlequin...but I wouldn't say he has "superb" markings - by that - what I mean is that a show quality marked harlequin would have a split down the middle of the face and equal amounts of the colors on either side of the face. (Sorta like my Miss Bea was)...

31af977f.jpg

CAUGHTMissBeaandTiny003.jpg

DSCN2790MissBeasContestEntry.jpg

Notice how she is somewhat evenly marked.

I also find myself wondering if he is a vienna marked magpie - because the white on the nose just seems so distinct from the rest of his coloring.

I believe he is a single mane lionhead that is going to KEEP his mane - I think I see some crimping in the mane in some of the pictures. I especially lean towards single mane because I don't see any of the mane on his flanks.

I lean towards thinking the rabbit is 10 - 12 weeks old. Part of it comes from the size of the rabbit next to the cat - part of it comes from his face in the first two pictures - thats more of an expression I would see on a younger bunny - but not a weanling bunny. Its hard to explain.

But I think he is really really cute.

How sweet! I can kinda see she has a fluffy face. I need to put my buns for my avvy too! Lionheads are so adorable. I think my boy is a single mane too.

CKGS wrote:
What a cutie! His hair doesn't really look crimped so I'm guessing a single mane (Come on Peg- correct me if I am wrong). I also believe his color is called magpie harlequin or is he a broken? Either way there is one word for him- CUTE.
Maybe this will help you see magpie vs. broken...

Maggie Mae - my magpie (single mane - has lost her mane)..

Maggie020709007.jpg

Maggie020709011.jpg

Maggie020709013.jpg

Some brokens:

triad-1.jpg

Brokensiamesesabledoetwo.jpg

brokensiamesesabledoe.jpg

BuffaloCreekbbluedoe.jpg

cathyd2.jpg

12c72a2c.jpg

da9f1138.jpg

f3b083ab.jpg

61b9553e.jpg

Here in the states we call them "broken ___" with the blank space being what the color of the patches are. So you can have broken blacks...which will have black spots...you can have broken torts....even broken black otters like Puck(who also carried chocolate)...

bunniesMay2005005.jpg

425brokenblackotterh.jpg

Notice how DISTINCT the coloring is - the white is most definitely white and the spots are a specific color on those brokens.

There is another type of brokens (pattern wise) that I think are called "broken blankets". You can find some here. Bella is a good example of a blanket-patterned broken - the blanket part is tort.

I know this is far more than y'all asked for....but ... oh well!

Ohhh what a pretty Harlequin! I agree, If my guy is Harlequin, he has very poor markings. It is not even or split like it should be. Its more random. I will have to lookup Vienna markings. I am still learning rabbit types! Ohh I really do hope he keeps his mane! It is soo pretty!

Thanks for the comparison Tiny! All those cute bunnies!! Hmmm he doesnt seem to be as salt n pepper as the Magpie. But more colorful than a normal broken. He kinda looks similar to the Broken Sable Point, but with more color, more shades of grey. I did see the broken Merle, maybe he is broken blue merle? Or Harlequin. LOL I guess I picked out a tought bunny to indetify!

Oh and dont worry..I like to learn more. I love small pets and learning about their genetics. I am curious about it or I wouldnt of asked what she is. :)

He is gorgeous I agree :)

I also just wanted to add that there is nothing wrong with the name trixy, especially if he knows it. after all, names are for our benefit, not theirs. I have several boys with girlie names (Sky, Dawn, Angel, Star, Hope) but they grow into their names. So if you ended up deciding not to change his name, it wouldn't be a big deal (plus I think Trixy is not particularly gender specific anyway so definitely not as bad as some of mine :p)

He does look Vienna marked, But I dont think there is any blue in his eyes.

Idunno what I am going to do about the name. Trixie is a cute name though.

Take a good look at his mane - is it just long and straight - or if you look closely at the hair - can you see a bit of a crimp to it - almost as if someone had taken a hair crimper to give it a bit of a curl? It won't be curly...but it won't be just long and straight either.

If it has that crimp to it - I'm betting the mane will stay.

Here is a comparison for you:

DSCN5466.jpg

That is a really crimped mane - this buck is a single mane but he has the crimping and his mane keeps coming in nicer and nicer...

7dafbbc6.jpg

This is Roary - a double mane buck - but his mane doesn't have the crimping (even though the picture doesn't show it as well) - his hair was really straight - as if someone had taken a hair straightener to it...

He had his mane for a couple of molts - but it finally went away and didn't really come back except for a tiny bit around his jaw.

Edited to add: His hair looks a bit crimped - but the majority of it was very straight...it doesn't look that way here though. I don't have a better picture of him....darn.

Hope this helps...

Thr original rabbit is definitely Harlequin, not broken. A broken Harlie is called a Tri. ;)

Benji looks like a vienna marked siamese sable.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Thr original rabbit is definitely Harlequin, not broken. A broken Harlie is called a Tri. ;)

Benji looks like a vienna marked siamese sable.

:yeahthat:

This is my vienna marked siamese sable Aggie as a youngster...

pjsiamesesabledoe1.jpg

Well I am thinking he is a Black Magpie Harlequin from what I have gathered. He has brown eyes, not Blue so he would be Black right? Though he has much more Blue color fur than Black. I think Harlequin because on his chest he actually has a part that is split down the middle by two different colors. His face also looks split, but its hard to tell because of the big white marking on his face. Though his back coloring is more random. He does have white feet and ears that are dappled by grey. Also he has two small but Solid white spots on his back. Does that idicate any marking?? I think he is Magpie because of the splashes of mixed colors. When I look close it seems to be similar to Maggie Mae. Especially the feet and some spots on the back. But with more solid areas. Or just not as mixed together.

His mane sticks out like it's straight but it is certainly crimpley. Very crimpley actually, but small crimbles. I also notice an extra seperate tuft of long crimpley fur behind her head, by her shoulders. Is that any idication of double or single mane? I think he is a single though, or wouldnt he have a poofier mane? I am glad it is crimpley, cause I really want him to keep his cutie hairdo.

What type is Jester?

Will a detailed photo of his fur help at all?

Latest posts

Back