Bunny on antibiotics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeythebunny

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here and I'm concerned about my rabbit's health. Honey is a 1 year old holland lop. Last week I noticed a big change in her appetite and took her to the vet - they diagnosed her with GI stasis and kept her for 4 days. They gave her lots of liquids, pain medicine, antibiotics, and force fed her. When she arrived home I thought she was fine - she was eating lots of hay and her poops looked very healthy. Skip to only a few days later (today) I've noticed her poop has changed - its darker, smaller, some are hard and some are squishy. I was told to administer her antibiotics twice daily until Friday which I've been doing. Other than that she's given a small portion of arugula and parsley in the morning, unlimited timothy hay, and then about 1/4-1/2 cup of pellets at night.

Are the poops just a side effect of the antibiotics? Are the pellets the cause? Is she possibly still sick and needing more vet treatment?

Antibiotics certainly can upset a bunny's digestive system, I think they can kill the friendly bacteria in the gut.
A probiotic to give alongside the antibiotics might help!
I'm not sure what you gave in the US but in the UK we use products like Fibreplex and Bio Lapis.

Back