bunny not doing well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunter

Reaction score
Well, Grunter is not doing well, she has stillgot her soft stools (she only eats timothy hay and pellets), the vetgave me some medicine for her and also told me to give her1/2mm of amodium, well I think she is worse. Now every stool issoft! I took her off it today, and have a call into the vet, also shehas pulled off all the hair on her hind foot, there is a big sore spot,and she holds it up when she hops around. Also she has wet tail orsomething because her hind legs and bottom are wet all the time. Andshe has lost weight. I don't know what to do, I am at a loss. Plus shesits with her front feet ONLY either in the food dish or in her litterbox. I can't get her to use her litter box! I am at my witsend.........any suggestions?

I'm sorry I can't offer any help. Have youalready or would you consider getting a second opinion? I truly hopesshe gets to feeling better, poor bunn. I will keep you and Grunter inmy thoughts and prayers.

Tina

I'm so sorry, Grunter.

Diarrehea and loose stools are often a sign of?intestinal slowdowns.???It could be as a result of stress or the?medication.? Lots offiber (preferrably hay) is recommended in these cases to scrape theintestinal walls and keep things moving.??I'm sure you've treated withIvermectin, but thought I might mention it again.? Is she scratching??Eyes runny?? Blood present? Is she vocalizing?? Any teeth grinding??Restlessness--lying down, shifting weight, pacing?? Withdrawn?? Headtilting? Tumors?? Difficulty breathing?? Lethargy?? Drooling??Constipated?

If so, although the last thing I normally would even think ofsuggesting would be?sending her Over?the Rainbow, it may now besomething to?consider if she continues as she is.???How old did you sayshe was??

God knows you and your vet have been trying so hard for so long to makeher better.?My heart goes out to you.? You and Grunter will remain inmy thoughts and prayers.? I'm so sorry I can't be of more help.? I willbe praying very hard and support whatever you think is best for yourprecious baby girl.

-Carolyn?

Have you given yogurt a try? The livebacteria in it helps keep the good bacteria going in the gut.This is part of the daily diet for skunks. I have used yogurtfor rabbits. If your bunny doesn't readily eat it, you canuse a spoon or syringe to give it. It doesn't cost much, andwould be worth a try.

-Dolores

Oh, this was vet suggested.

Thank you for your thoughts and advise. Grunteris almost 5 years old and I spoke to my vet this morning. He wants meto see another vet that treats rabbits, because rabbits are not hisspeciality. I spoke to the other vet this morning and after a big heartto heart he had suggested the same thing as you Carolyn. She is 5 yearsold and maybe this last surgery was to much for her.? My husband and Ihave made the decision to let her go to a better place, she is notgetting any better and she is at the end. We haven't told the kids yet,they will be so sad, but we think it is for the best.? I thank you allfor all your advise and help. I will keep you posted.

Also she has wet tail or something because her hind legs and bottom are wet all the time.

Hello Grunter,

what you describe sounds like a urinary tract infection. I would trystopping the Meds and feed only Grasshay, RolledOats & Water. Be sure the rabbit drinks plenty ofwater as dehydration is a quick killer. You may be right in thinkingabout euthanization. You are the only one who can make that call.However, Rabbit can live to ten or more years of age so Iwould not make that call strictly on the age of your rabbit. I have toadmit that from your description the rabbit does suffer from quite afew problems. I know when the time comes you will make the rightdecision.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Dear Grunter,

My heart, prayers and thoughts go out to you.

Personally, I strongly believe your husband and you have made the bestdecision. At this point, she doesn't have a good quality of life.

Rest assured that she couldn't have been more loved or you couldn'thave tried harder to get her through this. There are those that diealone and never know what love is. Thank goodness Grunter wasn't one ofthem.

When you tell the kids, you might like to read this to them. http://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm

-Carolyn

Thank you all for all your kindmessages. We seem to think now that our bunny may have had astroke of some kind because she is dragging her back leg. Itmay of been the anesthesia that she had from the surgery. Anyway Ithink we have made the right decision to send her "over the rainbow", Ijust hate seeing her like this. Even when I let her out of her cage tohop around she doesn't hardly move and she kind of drags her rightleg. We have told the kids and thank you Carolyn for the website. I copied it and let them all read it. It wasa very comforting story.

Oh Grunter. I am so sorry. I know it is adifficult decision. You've made the right choice. My heart goes out toyou and your family. Whenour bunn passed on the RainbowBridge really helped. Remember it's not Goodbye. It's I will see youlater.I will be you and yours in my prayers.

Tina

Latest posts

Back