Bunny Honeymooning? Anybody taken this route to bond your bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunMommaD

Reaction score
So I have been researching like crazy different rescues all around us to try and get some "dates" set up for our little man :) one of the rescues were very detailed and sent me this HUGE novel about bunny bonding and honestly it scared the you know what out of me... They told me I must take time off work, that they have to be supervised 24/7 for the first week (so what I cant sleep?) and they needed to be kept in a small confined space for 2weeks (which knowing cookie that would prob cause fighting!)....etc. I was really discouraged and just about to give up completely, I mean I can't take off work right now and I just got really scared that this would just cause enormous stress for everyone involved, especially cookie! Which I don't want!

Then I started talking to this lady at this other rescue that I had been waiting to hear back from... She explained that she had a few buns in mind that she thought might get along really well with cookie... I asked her about the bonding process and what they recommended and she told me that what they usually do is have the new couple" honeymoon" at one of the very experienced volunteers homes for the first week or so of bonding! Apparently this particular lady has done this for well over 100 bunnies and she said in their experience is the smoothest and most successful way to do it! Then she explained that after all that time once we come home they should be able to go right into their enclosure together...and also being so experienced if after a few days the match isn't working out, they will let us know and we can either give them permission to try another gal, or just come and get him and try again later!

I am very intrigued by this process, although I will miss cookie terribly!!!! There is some comfort in the fact that someone very experienced will be watching and guiding him through this process... Where as I am NOT! And my stress around the whole situation would probably just make things worse!

Whats everybody's thoughts? Has anyone done this?

:confused2:

I've never heard of this, but it sounds good. It definitely would be at a neutral place, which is helpful. And you wouldn't end up with a 2nd rabbit that seemed bondable at first but didn't work out.

I think I'd want to be there for the initial meeting, though, if that were possible.

LakeCondo wrote:
I've never heard of this, but it sounds good. It definitely would be at a neutral place, which is helpful. And you wouldn't end up with a 2nd rabbit that seemed bondable at first but didn't work out.

I think I'd want to be there for the initial meeting, though, if that were possible.

Exactly what I was thinking! And we will be there for the initial meeting. We will go for the day and he will be introduced to several different ladies and if and only if he "picks" any of them will be leave him to bond with her for the week... If he doesn't like any of them, he will come home and we will keep looking. W don't have anything set up yet, but I'm really thinking this is the way we will go...

I'm still wondering how the bonding will only take a week, when seeing others here take months. Also will they guarantee all goes well onceMr. Cookie and the new wifey get home to you after that week, when bonding needs to be re-established because it is Mr. Cookie's turf.

It's an interesting concept. Especially for those who will be stressed at the beginning.

I hope it goes well for you and Mr. Cookie.

K:)

ZRabbits wrote:
I'm still wondering how the bonding will only take a week, when seeing others here take months.  Also will they guarantee all goes well once Mr. Cookie and the new wifey  get home to you after that week, when bonding needs to be re-established because it is Mr. Cookie's turf.
It's an interesting concept.  Especially for those who will be stressed at the beginning.
I hope it goes well for you and Mr. Cookie. 
Thanks!
Nothing is guaranteed but they have had a lot of success of things going very smoothly at home after a week... And sometimes two weeks is needed... She said they don't send them home, until they have gone days without any arguing and they are displaying alot of bonding rituals... Like mutual grooming, sleeping together...etc. It may not work out, but I'm confindent enough after speaking with them to give it a try :)

And we also having been talking about actually taking that week that he is honeymooning to move the enclosure up to the office! Which he has never been in... So when they come home it will be a new territory, sort of... It's still his house but he has never been in the office, so new area! That might help with the transition...

BunMommaD wrote:
And we also having been talking about actually taking that week that he is honeymooning to move the enclosure up to the office! Which he has never been in... So when they come home it will be a new territory, sort of... It's still his house but he has never been in the office, so new area! That might help with the transition...

I think it will help the transition once Mr. Cookie comes home with his new girl.

Truly wishing you and Mr. Cookie success. Definitely keep us updated. Can't wait to see the girl Mr. Cookie picks to be his wifey.

Latest posts

Back