Bunny has been peeing outside litter box, possible UTI? Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claire24x7

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post here. My bunny Tiny is a year old and hasn’t been spayed yet. He’s usually pretty good about peeing in the litter box but I’ve noticed lately that he’s also been peeing outside the litter box, usually in a small amount. His behaviour is completely normal and he’s eating and pooping like usual. He is also currently on pain meds because he’s had dental issues in the past and the vet wants to keep him on it for now. He’s been going through more water than usual and has soaked through his litter box more than usual as well. It’s also summer here and it’s been humid but he’s downstairs where it’s cooler. Should I make a vet appointment??

I think you should to get him neutured. At 1 year old most rabbits will be at their teenager hormonal stage still which could be the reason that he's spraying since unfixed bunnies are very territorial. :)

I think you should to get him neutured. At 1 year old most rabbits will be at their teenager hormonal stage still which could be the reason that he's spraying since unfixed bunnies are very territorial. :)
I definitely will get him spayed, he was just recently under anesthesia for a dental exam so I didn’t wanna put him through that again so soon. He doesn’t seem to necessarily spray the pee as much as he’s just kinda peeing in places outside the litter box, not sure if that makes it any different!

How does your litterbox set up look like? It could be he's on the litterbox but aims it outside thinking he's doing a good job 😆

It’s pretty good, it has high sides and it’s big enough for him to sit in and have hay to munch on. He pees in other areas of the cage that aren’t even close to the litter box! :(

hmm you may want to try to put several litterboxes where he likes to pee then gradually remove one per week until he's completely used to just using one :) But I also agree with @odyssey~ getting him neutered would be a big help in litter training :)

Back