BUNNY FIGHTS

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylover134

Reaction score
I have 2 bunnies. both male! and last summer mybunny chloe (its a boy. i thought he was a girl but when i found outthe truth i was in the habit of calling him chloe so i didnt want tochange it), anyways...so chloe had a g/f named CC, and they used toplay and cuddle all the time. CC past away last september:( and I movedwith chloe to california and a couple months later I got another bunny(Gizmo), and he is a boy. Gizmo was not fixed but chloe was fixed likea year ago. We adopted CC and she was not fixed and so putting themtogether was bad they didnt get along, but after CC got spayed theyloved each other again, they were inseperable. SO now I had chloe andgizmo both males, chloe fixed and gizmo not. They did not get along.chloe is a rex, so he's average sized about 5.5 lbs and gizmo is anetherland dwarf at 2 lbs. I knew they didnt get along so i had toseperate them but a coupel times when i did try to put them togetherthey went at it rt away and started biting. so i figured chloe and ccdidnt get along until they were both fixed so i just had to get gizmofixed which i did about 2 months ago, and they still hate each other. Ithought chloe was biting and beating up gizmo but a couple weeks agogizmo got through the baby gate went straight up to chloe and pulledhis fur out. Pour baby was all out of breath from trying to get away.so i held him and calmed him down. The point is, is that they are bothfixed and still dont get along. Does anyone know why? It breaks myheart b/c i have to keep them seperate, and i got gizmo since chloejust got here and cc had past away liek 2 months before i just wantedhim to have a friend to cuddle with but they hate each other and theresonly one of me so the other gets sad looking when im playing with theother or holding the other. Can anyone tell me why they dotn getalong!! Sorry for such a long story!!

Male male pairs rarely get along even whenthey're fixed. My boys were both bonded since they were little and theywere neutered but 5 months later they still started fighting to kill.

Bonding works best in these pairs female/male, female/female, andmale/male. The male/female pair being the easiest and the male/malepair being the hardest.

You can search around the forum for bonding tips and if that doesn'twork, then they have to stay separated or one may end up killed.

Generally speaking, 2 male bunnies can be very difficult to bond.

ayglnu13 wrote:
the only time that they might get along is when they wereraised from birth together.
False. Rabbits from the same litter or bonded from a young age have nomore of a chance of being bonded to eachother when they're older as 2males that are introduced later in life. The only difference is thatfull grown rabbits may start fighting more vigorously and seriouslyright off the bat.

when i got chloe he was 5 weeks..so cute!! and ccwas 1 yr. so they got along really well until about chloe's 3rd monthand then he got bigger so hormones were going crazy so they didnt getalong. they got fixed and they loved each other again!! but now withchloe and gizmo they were both older so they didnt like each other atall! I have sooo..many cute pictures of chloe 5 weeks and cc at like 1yr together they were so cute!~

What people said isn't true! Well not entirely. Ihave 2 males. Their story's alot like yours. I'd Calvin about 6 monthswhen I got tried to find a pal for him and got Jordan. Jordan was about2 months when I got. They were the best of friendsandinseperable for about 6 months till Jordan got intoadolescene. Jordan would kinda try to bully Calvin, but nothing majoruntil one day they did get in a fight! They both came out of itunharmed but it scared the hell out of me. I kept them seperate for alooong time, like maybe a year.

One time I accidently left a cage door open...I heard all thisscuffling so turned towards the cages and they were both in one cageandat it again!! (this was around 6-8 months into theirseperation period) I stuckmy hand in between the two of themin the cage to try to stop the fight. Calvin bit me on the underside ofmy arm and blood started pouring out! (LOL it's so laughable now, whoever heard of a bunny bite causing serious damage?) The next day I hada bruise from my wrist all the way to my elbow. I still have the scartoo...

But anyway, I moved to a new apartment last September, a new beginningfor me and though possibly for the bunnies too. I was right! They'vebeen fine ever since then. They cuddle, groom each other, and rarelyare they ever apart. Who knows what made them change their mind butjust wanted to let ya know...2 MALES GETTING ALONG IS POSSIBLE!!

During their seperation I would put them together 2 3 or 4 times a weekunder close supervision for an hour or so. For starters, you might wantto try that.

Yes, chiquita, you're right: never saynever. It's possible, but I think what Laura and Jim and otherswere trying to say is that it is significantly more challenging to bondtwo males. But it does happen ;)

i have put them together a couple times andnothing good happens! pour gizmo wants a friend i just know it. Theywere staying at my bf for a while like a month while i was in theprocess of moving into my own place and they both got a long great withhis 3 cats. I think Gizmo and my bf's cat had something goign on. Youcould tell they liked each other;)
so now that we are at our own place without my bfs cats he doesnt haveanyone to play wiht. but chloe he doesnt care. he wants me all tohimself so he doesnt want any other animals. just me. I dont want gizmoto be sad without another bunny or cat but i cant really get anotherpet.

More challenging yes so I wouldn't advise someonewith 1 male bunny going out and getting another male, but if it's allsaid and done and you have 2 males just keep working at it, it'spossible.

Also, I forgot to add in my original post that when the real fighting began between the 2 of them they were both nuetered.

chiquita090 wrote:
What people said isn't true! Well not entirely.
Nobody said it was impossible, just rare and not the norm.

We have 2 spayed does, 1 neutered buck, and 3 does that are not spayedyet. At one time they were all almost bonded. At this time none of themare. Hopefully we will get them to bond again sometime in thefuture...but who knows!

It's a work-in-progress ;).

well i just really hope that they will be bonded.that would save me the trouble of baby gates to keep them away fromeach other, everytime i need to go in the other room or soemthing,wherever the other one is i have my other bunny trying to sneak past toget in there too. theres this bunny place that does bonding but imafraid b/c even if they do know what they are doing if they take theireyes off of them for 1 second that could be bad. at least i knwo whatthey are like together and how they act. But im still scared to leavethem with someone else and just hope nothing bad happens in theprocess. has anyone here ever took their buns to get bonded?

chiquita090 wrote:
What people said isn't true!
We said they RARELY work out. But no one said never.

More often then not, they don't work out but sometimes they do.

I've had my boys permaently separated for a year and don't think I can ever put them together again.

Ok ok...don't everybody gang up on me now! :p

I said "What people said isn't true! Well not entirely." So yousee? That means it's true in some cases but in others it's notneccesarily the case.

bunnylover134 - you'll just have to try to get it to work.Another option you have is taking them to nuetral territory. They'llprobably be too busy investigating their new surroundings that theywon't even think to fight. After they're done investigating see howthey act. I've also heard that car rides are really calming to bunnies,something about the humming of the engine.

chiquita
i have heard its good to bond themin the car b/c they are scared of car rides so they have nothing to doexcept calm each other and protect and cuddle with each other. thatswhat i heard from bunny shelters. where have you heard b/c its calmingfrom the engine? thats weird!

It seems to me that it's all territorial issues,and the trick is to have them in neutral, unfamiliar territory, be itthe new apartment or the car as in the cases cited.

My bunny became very aggressive -- seriously attacking thecats-- and un-litter trained when she ended up with the runof the house. I got her spayed, but what really stopped itall was establishing a much smaller territory -- she was kept in herkennel for a few days, and slowly expanded to a corner of the room,then the whole room, with the cats establishing their territory outsidethe room.

The bunny will now leave the room (although not often), but she knowsshe's a visitor in the cats territory, and shows somerespect.Of course the cats don't realizethat, yet (once bitten, twice shy) and are never at ground level whenshe's around, but at least she's not jumping upto attack themany more. But heaven help the cats if they come intoher room.

i dont know if its territory issues. i thought itwas but i have tried new smaller places that they both arnt used to andall they care about is attacking each other. im just afraid that i willjust always have to have them be seperated

The engine calming them down does weird doesn'tit? I've read it in several different places though. But whatever thereason, it does work. While they were still fighting I would take themto the park, the vet, or wherever and they would be fine.

I don't know that they're scared of cars in particular but rabbits ingeneral are pretty timid and always cautious of new surroundings. Soonafter I got Calvin we went on a road trip all the way from Pennsylvaniato Missouri and back, once he kinda understood what was going on he wasfine. I can't speak for other rabbits but mine arn't scared of carrides.

When I found my dwarf, she was on a dogleashwith some homeless kids sitting panhandling on thebusiest downtown corner of a bigcity with busses whizzing byliterally a foot from her head. Didn't faze her abit. She certainly didn'tmind a car ride.

She's still fearless.WHen she was out in the yard,shetook a run at a big fat crow andknockeditunconscious with a well placed kick to the chest.As noted, my cats, including a really big mean one, ended up on thelosing end of some really scary fights --she'd get underneaththem and bite and scratch their stomachs. She's not muchbigger than a beer can, she was too small and too close for them totake aim.

She's extremely territorial. If the neutral territory thingdoesn't work, IguessI'm going to have separatebunny bedrooms when I rescueanother one,I don'tthink she can be dominated. .(So much for the guestroom).

Latest posts

Back