Bunny Diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLover

Reaction score
How should a rabbit be put on a diet? CupCake isa bit of a "Chunky Monkey" and I think she would benefit from a littleweight loss. My question is how should I go about putting her on adiet, should I just cut down on the pellets (and treats:shock:!) or isthere something else I should do too?

Lissa

Hey, we're both named Lissa and we both havechubby buns. Haha! Diet? Hm.Are bananas and animal crackers a diet food?

I suspect elimination of treats would be thefirst order, as they are usually the culprit when dealing withoverweight bunnies. Next, after some time, one might considerreducing the amount of pellets by very small increments overa long period of time. Do not put bunnies on "crashdiets!" I've read that to do so is harmful to the bun'shealth.

One might feed a lower protein content pellet or even timothy pellets,as opposed to higher 18%+ alfalfa based pelleted feed. Ifyour bun doesn't get out of the cage often, place a 2" x $" board inthe cage, forcing it to jump overthe piece oflumberto access feed or water in order to encourage weightloss.

I would encourage you to do some research before you take any steps toinsure you are doing nothing sudden, nor detrimental to the buns healthand well being. Some breeds are naturally stockier thanothers, so make sure your bun is fat before your proceed.

Buck

I am planning to cut down on sugary treats or eluminate them. I'll use lettuce, parsley as a treat.

I don't want to cut out Bo'sbananas! It'sso cute hearing him smack and slurp them!

I only give him a little slice a couple of times a week.... the otherdays he gets papaya about the size of a pineapple tidbit, or acranberry/craisen or two for breakfast! He waits for his breakfast!

Ok, so I slipped him 3 cheerios yesterday! :?

I got this from HRS :)-

If I feed fewer pellets, how do I compensate?
When you feed a lower quantity of pellets, you must replace thenutritional value without the calories, which is done by increasing thevegetables. Also, a variety of hay and straw must be encouraged all daylong, we do this by offering fresh hay a couple of times a day.

The amount of bananas you give him should beokay, and it doesn't sound like you give him too much treats. Scoobycouldn't live without bananas-lol. so you might want to cutdown on pellets to 1/8 cup pf pellets per 4 pounds--according tohttp://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/diet/pellets.html

this site has a bunch of rabbit nutrition information.

ScoobyDoo wrote:
The amount of bananas you give him should be okay, and itdoesn't sound like you give him too much treats. Scooby couldn't livewithout bananas-lol. so you might want to cut down on pelletsto 1/8 cup pf pellets per 4 pounds--according tohttp://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/diet/pellets.html

I am pretty good about not giving him treats, but my daughter issneaking them to him! :XShe giggles when he smacks his bunnylips on bananas!>....... Ok, I giggle too, but I don't overdohis treats!

I had to have a little talk with her tonight! No wonder he's gettingfat! I caught her feeding him a banana slice TWICE the thickness I givehim!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I don't want to cut out Bo'sbananas! It'sso cute hearing him smack and slurp them!

Oh God. You should hear Iszy eat a banana. It's absolutely appalling! :D

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I am pretty good about not giving him treats, but my daughter is sneaking them to him! :X
I have that same problem only it's my parents that sneak them treats! Ihad to drag myself out of my warm bed this morningafter Iheard my dad telling my mom to bring the rabbits a treat when she comesout. :X

5_6_34.gif
I'm a bunny, big and chubby, what can I eattt?
5_6_34.gif

Sorry-couln't resist. LOL

ScoobyDoo wrote:
The amount of bananas you give him should be okay, and itdoesn't sound like you give him too much treats. Scooby couldn't livewithout bananas-lol. so you might want to cut down on pelletsto 1/8 cup pf pellets per 4 pounds--according tohttp://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/diet/pellets.html

I would exactly go by a measurement just as of yet.Slowly cutting back on what the bun normally eats as buck had mentionedis in most cases isa good choice. While a measuredamount of food is a guideline, each bun is different and each bunsmetabolism is different. And activity levels vary as well. Some bunscan be free fed and never get fat, while others must be strictlylimited. I have read, first steps in reducing a buns bulk, isto buy them a lower % protein food first, then take additional stepsafterwards.

Lissa wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
I don'twant to cut out Bo'sbananas! It'sso cute hearing him smack and slurp them!

Oh God. You should hear Iszy eat a banana. It's absolutely appalling! :D
LOL! If it were a person making those noises when eating, I would puke! LOL!

Now you are all giving me ideas of what I can feed my bunnies just to hear them make all kinds of cute noises.....

My bunnies are normal weight now, if they all go through a incredibleweight gain in a very short time, we'll all know its because of thispost, and i've given them to many treats!!

ScoobyDoo- I think youmean Bo B Bunny,but I too am guilty of the treat thing. I made a big mistake, I taughtthem to stand on their hind legs when they want a treat, now guess whatthey do whenever they see me.It isso cutethough!!!!!

CupCake is now on a diet. I cut down on the sugary treats and I cut outa little bit of the pellets. But I'm not going to do anything fast.

Lissa

Yeah, well, it's the "extras" he gets from my daughter that can be a problem LOL!

I guess he'll be ok, he's not overly fat at all...

Latest posts

Back