Bunny Bonding - Failure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SablePoint

Reaction score
Well now Rocko, my Dutch bunny is about 4 months now and he's almost around the size of my adult 8 year old Holland Lop mix(same size of a Holland Lop), Mr. Bun Bun.

As I've mentioned in former topics, Rocko is aggressive to Bun Bun. He actually has tackled him down and kicked him. Bun Bun, having arthritis, that had to hurt. Luckly, Mr. Bun Bun is not aggressive towards him. Yet larger and older, I actually feel very sorry for poor Bun Bun. I know not being able to see his new "friend" is stressful. Not to mention even more stressful cause Rocko pretty much hates Bun Bun.

Bun Bun's buddy died 2 years ago and he became very depressed with some psychological behavior. I was hoping he'd be so happy with his new friend - but it's a complete fail. Rocko is the worst rabbit I've ever owned and I know this sounds mean, but I'm starting to have second thoughts about keeping him. I don't think he'll ever get along with Bun Bun.

When it comes down to neutering for Rocko - Bun Bun will probably have passed away before I could afford that! Bun Bun is the one who needs neutering cause he was recently diagnosed with a strong possibility of Testicular Cancer.

I tried some "bonding" or at least some "disapline training" using the squirt bottle(Rocko really responds to it well when behaving badly, like when he tries to knock over his litter box) earlier this morning and it was still impossible to keep Rocko from attacking Bun Bun.

My former rabbits(which were not neutered either), Koga, a male Mini Rex, and Brinca, a female Eastern Cottontail, got along great with Bun Bun(Brinca would chase Koga though, lol Koga was always a weenie). But Rocko is like he needs to be put on some type of medication. I almost wonder if he has some kind of issue.

Bun Bun also has arthritis. Do you think it's time to just Bun Bun be a single bunny? Kind of sounds hateful for the poor guy after what he's been through - then again, it's kind of hateful to give up Rocko.
The strange thing is that Bun Bun's psychological behaviors stopped when I got Rocko - do you think I should still keep him? At least like company near the cages? Or is that too tempting to Bun Bun(cause he really wants to play with him). It's like looking at a bag of cookies and not being able to eat one.

What do you think would be best? Do yall know any other successful bunny bonding?

Regards,

SablePoint

You know, rabbits are extremely picky when it comes to their mates. I think it makes them special although it definitely can befrustrating at times.I think it may be time to take a step back and take the pressure of of yourself and the buns as well.

Maybe you are seeing Rocko asbeing horrible because you so hope and almost expect that he will be Bun Bun's friend that you just can't help but be so disappointed because it's not going as planned.

I felt the same way about Maybelle when she tried to eat Smores. Lol. Thing is, I accepted it. I took a step back and saw them for the individuals that they are and realized it wouldn't work. I ended up getting a different bunny that turned out to be an instant bond with Smores and now they are living happily together. However, during that time, I also bonded with Maybelle because I stopped seeing her for the pain in the butt that she is and just see her for the girl that knows what she likes and doesn't like. Hehehe. She still keeps me on my toes though ;)

What I am saying is, when it comes to bunny bonding, it's all so very difficult to plan out. Most of the time what you didn't expect it was actually happens. Maybe there is a good side to it as well... I don't mean to make this sound cruel, but with Bun Bun not doing well, if something happens, then you will have Rocko to deal with as he grieves, as well as yourself as well. I'm not saying you shouldn't bond them but I am suggesting maybe accepting that things happen for a reason and it's all too possible that they just don't get along. Maybe seeing it differentlywill help you bond with lil Rocko as well. :)

By all means, continue trying. You just never know... Just don't get disappointed in yourself nor in them if they just don't want to. I think Bun Bun can do well on his own if necessary. :)

i had that same problem, but all i had to do was hold them both together and show the equal affection? now i just got it to where whenever hippity runs up to thumper, thumper just runs away instead of attacking her.

I moved this to Nutrition & Behavior and am letting the original poster know!

Thanks for the replies guys! I let the buns play around in the yard today and Rocko was freaking out cause it was his second time outside(he was on a leash and harness). He wasn't aggressive towards Bun Bun and as he settled down I took him off his leash and let him roam around with my eye on him constantly to make sure he wouldn't get loose some how. There are some spots in the fence he's still small enough to slip through.

At least the bunnies got some play time without any fighting. I also found Bun Bun sitting next to a freshly killed bird with small open wounds on it's stomatch. There's no blood on Bun Bun, but he does like to chase birds....

Latest posts

Back