Bunny Biting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarsweety

Reaction score
:pPlease help! Mocha has biteneveryone in the family but myself. I pick around with my husband andtell him she only does it to them becasue she doesn't like them . Butreally, can anyone pull some sense out of this? Dawn

Are they picking her up wrong? Is she spayed?

They should yell "Ouch" when she does it. Bunnies relate highscreams like that with pain. More cases than not, they stoptheir behavior after a few times, but if she's unspayed or they catchher off guard or are holding her incorrectly, she may bite. Iwonder if she's got a pain that when touched, it hurts her and shebites. How old is she? Have you check her over forwounds or bumps?

-Carolyn

She's only 11 weeks old, is that too soon to haveher sprayed. I showed all of them how to hold her. Just last night myhusband was at the sink and we had her running in the kitchen and shehopped up and bit his leg for no reason. As I mentioned, shedoesthis to everyone but me. She licks me a lot, but has yetto bite or even nibble.

Spaying will help it if she is Ok otherwise. I didthe screeching ouch thing and it does work because a bun does that whenhurt. Are you sure of her age? I would tell others not to pick her upuntil she is vetted because she might be hurting for some reason

Hi Dawn

She won't be ready to be spayed until 4-6 months old. Usuallyafter that happens, the rabbit mellows out and there's a tremendousdecrease in biting, circling, growling, and lunging.

Some rabbits 'bite' as a way of showing affection. They don'trealize it hurts. I'd tell your family that for a littlewhile. Is she biting hard or is she just letting them knowshe's there?

-Carolyn

I hit the button tooo soon. I helped a lady whohad a little Netherland who fought her whole family except was OK withher most of the time. We had her confine the bunny to certain rooms andhandled under controlled situations. Had her kids stop picking him up.We did alot of reinformant work like holding and loving giving treatsand letting her know things were OK. He also was neutered during thistime. We have been working with him since Xmas and now he is good withher husband and older child. You must work with him not cagehim all the time. Yet you can not have him a situation where this badbehavior is allowed either. You also cannot have the bunny ina situation where she id dropped etc because she has bitten and hurtsomeone as that will cause resentment and hard feelings towardsher. Your family is upset about her and she cn feel thestress. Try not to put her in situations that cause biting if possible.The little Netherland would charge out fromunder tables and sink itsteeth into people. Be on the floor on his level to as much as possible.

guitarsweety wrote:
She's only 11 weeks old, is that too soon to have hersprayed. I showed all of them how to hold her. Just last night myhusband was at the sink and we had her running in the kitchen and shehopped up and bit his leg for no reason.
This is only a sugestion but maybe shes doing to beplayful:)after all shes only a baby. Also if your childrensay it doesn't hurt that much then maybeshe is nibbling infun

Sorry I can't help anymore than this :)hope you get to the bottom of it

VIckie

Bunty gave you some great suggestions, and I thinkVickie makes a very strong point as well. I don't have a lotof time, but will do my best with what I have in my thoughts.

Biting occurs because of a few reasons: Hormones, which spaying willhelp out; poor vision, they may not see your hand or an object thatsuddenly appreas before them because their near vision isn't thatgood--they get scare and bite; territorial issues--they havestrong feelings about their space; she's been handled improperly,notnecessarily by you but perhaps prior to your adoption; oras a sign of attention, 'hey! up there! I'm downhere! Give me a pat or a treat!; or as a sign of love, notrealizing it hurts.

-Spaying will help

-Approach your rabbit slowly and stroke her forehead and goback. Don't pet under the chin because some rabbits don'tlike that and will nip

-Move slowly so that you don't startle the rabbit

-Don't attempt to pick the rabbit up

-Get on her level and pet her that way

-Coo her, speak gently and calm to her

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back