Bunnies that don't like alfalfa hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

featpete

Reaction score
I've had my Waffle for two weeks now and fed him timothy hay from the start, but I've been reading that alfalfa hay is good for them while they're growing (he's only 11 weeks at this point). He'll eat his timothy hay without question, but as soon as I put some alfalfa out for him, he turned his head away and wouldn't touch it!

I think he dislikes the smell? His pellets are made out of mainly alfalfa so I don't think he minds the taste. He'll even eat it out of my hand if I hold it to his nose/mouth, but he doesn't seem to love it.

Has anyone else experienced this? I assumed that he would just dig in and love it considering he loves all things papery/woody but I can definitely sense that the alfalfa hay has a different smell than the timothy hay.

I just bought the bag from Petco and it says that it expires in May of 2012. From what I can tell, it's normal/dry. What's good is that he will at least eat a bit of it.

It's really not that important to feed him alfalfa, especially if he's getting an alfalfa pellet. Just feed him timmy hay if that's what he likes.

Hershey has never really liked hay at all! When he was young I fed him alfalfa and he only nibbled at the leafy parts a bit, but didn't really eat it. He now has Timothy hay and will eat a little of it, but it's clearly not his favorite!

Everybunny is different!

Latest posts

Back