Bunnies snacks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tterster

Reaction score
I gave our girl bunny a few nibbles ofa banana. She loved it. How often can you give her some banana and howmuch? I try to feed her fresh parsley everyday or a few days a week anda carrot every so often. I know too much sugar isn't good. Celery madeher turn her head. After one nibble, she shook her head. SO CUTE! Anyadvice on whatveggies and fruits are good for her? And howmuch and how often?

I wouldnt give too much fruit. As you said, thesugar isnt all that great for them. Moderation is key! :) And alwayswatch her poops after you've given her anything new, to be sure sheisnt getting diarrhea

Chinny gets a salad every day, probably about 1 cup worth, along with her unlimited hay and pellets.

Her salad regularly consists of: parsley, cilantro, mint. Dandelionswhen I can find some, and on occasion some romaine lettuce, but Im notreal keen on any kind of lettuce lol She also gets broccoli onoccasion, just one of the tops all chopped up with her other stuff. Ijust added some bell pepper, which she ate, so we will see if she likesit or not LOL

Here are some lists of whats good for them:

http://earthhome.tripod.com/saferab.html

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/diet/foods.html

Always give a few days of the new food before adding another one, to besure its not going to upset the bunnies tummy. Which you will know ifit does, because her poops will get soft and runny.

Virginia

Rowena wrote:
I just added some bell pepper, which she ate, sowe will see if she likes it or not LOL
I tried bell peppers this weekend. They wouldn't touch it. :? My picky little buns

i agree that moderation is the key :)and checking poops etc after new stuff.. sometimes you also find thatsome foods make them more stinky lol, no matter how much they lovethem!

i have picky buns too kricket :) mine wont touch green pepper either..or spinach..and loads of other things!

ooh! one thing to try is dried papaya :) it's good for their digestionand my buns love it :D it's hard to keep that one inmoderation for mine..they beg for it.. Mr Licks even does a littlecircle dance for it lol!

hehe Kricket, I didnt think she was going to eatit either. She picked through it all and there was just the pile ofpepper. But this morning it was GONE!

Virginia

I just adopted the pickest bun. Abbywon't eat any leafy greens. I've never seen anything likeit. She just won't eat them. What a silly girl sheis. LOL

My buns get salad every day. I have large amounts of salad tofeed with 9 buns, 5 rats and 9 lizards who all eat it.Therefore, I make a big salad every weekend that lasts me allweek. There are some things that I put in last minute if I'mfeeding them, like anything that is fruit. I try really hardto stick to the reccommended things, but sometimes they get differentthings that are better for one or the other. (Like beans,they are really good for the lizards, but not so good for thebuns. They get them cooked, so they are ok.)

I also have to make salad for the critters at work. It'scrazy the amount of veggies I buy every weekend. Thisweekend, I'm seeking out a farmers market. LOL

Jen

Jen, what kind of lizards do you have? I had aiguana, and I have noticed that a lot of things a ig eats, a bunny caneat! I remember making the igs salad each week. I broke a foodprocessor while I had him! Used it too much hehehe

Virginia

Took Corky to the farmers market last weekendcuz we had to go to the vet right after, and there was a nice ladythere that saw him and said PERFECT!! I've been looking for somethingto do with this, someone that could use it. She gave us asack and a half of carrot tops, beet tops and lettuce she couldn'tsell. Told her I had more buns at home, she said stop byanytime I'm down there she always has this stuff and I'm welcome toit. She's glad someone can use it!!! So it wasgreat!! Other places gave me extra of what I bought...guessthey thought he was cute! :D

Best of all they LOVE it!!!

What about regular cheerios for your bun? How much and how often?

Yes, you can give Cheerios....but don't give tomuch...use sparingly as a treat. I'll throw a few in withbunny salads a couple times a week.

Latest posts

Back