Bunnies fought and now have injuries - what do I do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nalaprincess

Reaction score
My fiance has a 9 month male un-neutered dwarf lion head and a year old male un-neutered holland lop. They live separately but one got into the others cage and they had a little scuffle. The lion head has a quarter sized wound with a hard object protruding out, a slight rivet on one side and a lump on the other (maybe just pus?), we're thinking it could be a nail. And the lop has, not really sure, feels like a bunch of little nail pieces (something hard) in spots all over as well as in his hear and a hole through his ear. I'm really worried about them though they're not open or bleeding and bother rabbits are eating, drinking and don't seem to be in pain. I can touch them, pick them up and touch the wound without fuss.

What do you guys think? Are they nails? Should I pull it out? Are they vet worthy? Maybe just the lop? So many questions and at a loss as to what to do. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

20161023_205429.jpg

Lumps and bumps are not a good thing. "Just pus" is bad, pus and rabbits is not good. Needs a vets attention asap if theres pus / an abscess there.

A small scab from a small wound is likely not an issue, if that nis all it is.

If there are nails stuck in a rabbits skin thats not good either.... not sure what a rivit on a rabbit is?

Cant honestly tell anything from that photo.

I would go to the vet, scratches and bites get infected really easily and it might be worth some antibiotics. I would take the two of them (the vet will probably cost you the same - it's generally paid by consultation, not by rabbit). Just a few scabs is not really an issue, it can be treated with some biseptine but if there are pus and hard parts, get it treated fast. When I was very young, I had a guinea pig. He went into a scuffle and was bitten by another male. At the time, my parents took the decisions regarding the animals and we just cleaned the wound. He didn't show any signs of pain and acted normal. Some weeks later, it became an abscess and my guinea pig died. It's only my opinion, but in that kind of case, I prefer to play by the 'better be safe than sorry' principle.

Back