Bunnies Drowned at Ohio Petland

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the really scary thing is that she worked there for nine years. And we agree no matter what psychological label is hung on her, she is pure EVIL!! They need to look into the history of that place and see what pops up--I'm sure it won't be anything good, just as I sure she didn't act alone and that others should share in the justice that is coming.

On another note, I called Petland's HQ and talked to a living breathing person. The only response I got to most of my questions was their PR statement read in a monotone. I feel that they are truly insincere in doing anything other than damage control--their only concern seems to be how to do damage control and not really address the issue of their ongoing problems. I asked if they have District Managers that are supposed to do periodic visits. The answer was yes. When I asked what they were going to do to try to make sure nothing like this happens again, I got treated to the monotone about how They" do not condone mistreatment of animals. If they did, they would all be in prison--no one will openly condone it, even, I'm sure their model employee will be singing a different tune when she's in the judicial chambers---the excuses and tears will be both flowing--they should have a blowup of her picture in the background so that the true personality can be seen, EVIL! Hopefully, this will be the stake thru the heart that will put Petland into the afterlife as I truly believe that they only care about the egg on their face and will do no more than they are forced to do. We only go to pet stores for supplies--all of our animals have been shelter recues or discards that others couldn't keep for a number of reasons to numerous to list. Petland will really have to do something extraordinary to change our opinion. If their swithcboard doesn't want to do more than read a prepared statement, we feel they truly don't care--it would do a lot more for damage control if they seemed even remotely sincere. Boycott them. Call, write, sign the petition, call the Mayor the police and call the prosecutor and make them all care. Write or call the Attorney General and the Governor. Let all the Ohio; politician's know that their protection laws are inadequate and antiquated. Finally, aks them what they intend to do about Petland, whose headquarters are in their state. Sorry about the rant overtones, but, "I'M STILL MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!":banghead

It's not a matter of me expecting every petstore to be abusive, it's a matter of me recognizing the potential and taking the route where it is less likely to happen instead when available. If I know an exception, then I will treat them like an exception. If I don't know them, I go with what I can be more certain is safer. Simple.

fuzz16 wrote:
actually...there are good bfs and bad ones. there are good pet stores and bad ones. cant expect every petstore to abuse thier animals, its not true. i knew a couple who owned a mum and pop store and they have a few animals and have rescue dogs from shelters and on weekends thier closed and they take the animals home with them-exception being fish hamsters gerbils. they closed due to not making enough money.

so ya, your saying its safe to assume that they abuse and kill thier animals as well. even though they love them and just want to find loving homes for them where they will be loved as well.
First, the analogy to boyfriends does not make sense, and is completely irrelevant to this situation.

Second, this discussion is not about "every petstore." It is specifically about Petland.

BethM wrote:
Second, this discussion is not about "every petstore." It is specifically about Petland.
I think its important that we stay focused on this situation.I know there are many wide opinions on petstores and we could loose focus onwhat the problem is here with this store and or chain. Lets focus our energies on Petland and not each other.:)

When a friend made a comment on her Facebook page, Elizabeth replied:

"[T]he manager took the pic for me. he reminded me that there were people outside as was swearing at them to just hurry up and die but then she was so kind as to take this picture."
Source: blog.peta.org

Thank goodness for the Electronic media and the Internet that people like this is exposed. It is ironic that the very same device she used to post the picture is the evidence that will put her away.

Rabbits or any other animals don't just drown. If they are put under water, they will trash, kick, twist,and squirm until they are dead. Have you ever heard a rabbit scream in fear andagony? Itwould of been the most terrifying moment to witness a horrific death of these two rabbits.

Yet the girl can hold the two dead rabbitsup and smile for a picture.

Something is indeed wrong here.

you know since this was posted i have not been able to get this out of my mind,ugh.

bunnylove817 wrote:
So was the store actually closed permanently or just temporarily until this whole thing "blows over"?
The news story, and the statement released by Petland, claimed that the store was being closed permanently. Hopefully that is true, and that it won't be re-opened again later. I hope that franchisee is never able to get a pet store franchise again.

I haven't been able to get it out of my mind either....

I still can't believe the store manager was in on it too. That's the type of person they have representing the store? They are supposed to be there to make sure thingslike that don't happen! Does anyone know if he/she was fired as well?

This is very disturbing. I don't want to imply that all Petlands are this cruel, but I did purchase my bunny, Donnie, from a Petland in Michigan because he was all alone in a glass tank with a 50% off sign next to him. Curiously, I asked why he was marked down, and the manager told me that someone has purchased him, but brought him back because they thought he was blind and sick (because he was "wheezing."). I was so outraged (my mom was too) so we brought him home and took him to the vet. It turns out that he is not blind, nor was he sick--he simply has to scan in order to see because of his eye pigment, and he just snores when he sleeps.

Sigh :(

Kathy

I am upset the article said the manager that took the picture won't be charged.

I will be watching for updates to see what happens tomorrow when Carlisle goes to court. I will be crossing my fingers that Carlisle gets what she deserves.

Thanks for posting those links, I appreciate it.

She's not grinning anymore. I just honestly don't see how this was just a mistake on her part, that she is a nice girl, like her father claims. I think she is only showing remorse for what she did because she could face jail time and a big fine. Not to mention her imagine has been totally ruined. Did she show remorse after violently drowning those poor defenseless rabbits and taking their lives? No, she posed for a picture to remember it. Did she show regret or remorse even after killing them and posing for the picture? No, she bragged about it on facebook.

Now... only now... she shows regret and remorse. I hope she does get jail time.

:nosir:
[align=center]
[align=center]
moz-screenshot-2.png

[/align]
[/align]

PETA sure brings out the monsters out of "animal lovers". People's reactionsare just as sick as her. Are the outraged really animal lovers or just sickos? Are they taking it out on her because it's not PC to take it out on blacks and jews any more?

AKRON, Ohio -- The father of the woman accused of drowning two injured rabbits is speaking out to NewsChannel5 on her behalf.

Liz Carlisle, 20, of Ravenna, was charged with two counts of animal cruelty after she allegedly bragged about drowning the animals. A photo of the former Petland employee showed Carlisle smiling as she held up two drowned bunnies.

http://www.newsnet5.com/video/20448994/index.html

Today, Carlisle's father told NewsChannel5's Marielle Lue that the family is getting death threats and they are scared.

In court Monday, Carlisle appeared very serious as she pleaded not guilty to two counts of animal cruelty. She's not making any comments on the case, but her father said she was forced to move.

Inside and outside of the courthouse, Carlisle was followed relentlessly by animal rights activists.

Her father said that he is outraged by what PETA is doing and said members of the group are promoting harm to his daughter.

"I think it's admirable to want to protect animals but [what] about the humane treatment of people? There was nothing humane about those people yesterday," Joe Carlisle said.

Carlisle said that his daughter is receiving death threats and has even had to move. He said enough is enough.

"These hate mongers that are boiling up death threats against my daughter -- step back and take a breath," he said.

Liz Carlisle's attorney said there's much more to the story but it will play out in court.

"People are going to understand who Liz is. Not the monster who holds up rabbits and thinks it's a joke. She doesn't. She takes this very seriously," said attorney Ron Gatts.

If convicted, Carlisle could spend up to a year in jail. She's due back in court on Sept. 3.

Joe Carlisle said his daughter will tell her story in court and hopes her testimony will show her the way he sees her: a sweet girl who made a terrible mistake.

Latest posts

Back