Bunnies Bunnies Everywhere

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jteddy

Reaction score
My son and my daughter each had a bunny and we were told by the bunny breeder that they were both males and they had been in the same cage for over a year. To my son's devastation, his bunny died on November 15th. Three weeks later, there were 7 babies out there, so the other one mustbe a female. Now I have all these babies I have to find homes for. If you are in search of a bunny in southeast Michigan, give me a shout. I have 4 females and 3 males. Their momma is a giant and their daddy was a dwarf. I will not give them to anyone who intends to use them for food for either themselves or a reptile.

Sooo sorry for the male bunny:(. Sadly, I don't live in Michigan at all. Welcome to the forum as well:)

maisy (good luck finding homes for the babies!)

jteddy wrote:
Their momma is a giant and their daddy was a dwarf.

Yikes, good thing it wasn't the other way around. :(

Any idea what happened to daddy? Poor bunny.

No matter where you advertise, you're going to get a far better response with photos. Do you have a camera? Can you get creative?

Please read our 'Rehoming' guide, here, for additional tips:

PIN: SUCCESSFUL RE-HOMING OF PETS

Good luck!

sas :?

Wow a whole year together with only one successful breeding? You got extremely lucky.

Geeze what an awful situation. Unfortunately this happens all too often. You should definitely consider having your mama girl spayed after the babies are weaned. Female rabbits have a very high chance of developing uterine cancer. There are a couple places near Ann Arbor and Detroit who spay rabbits very cheaply, around 80.00.

How old are the babies now? You will need to separate them from their mom at around 8 weeks or so. And then you will need to separate the boys from the girls shortly there after so they do not breed with one another.

If you need temporary housing for them, you should check into using NIC panels. They are grids you can buy at Target and make great temporary housing. They are only for indoor use though. Heres lots of info here:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=21

The link Pipp provided for you is a great start for rehoming. Unfortunately most of the rescues here in MI are full but you could try contacting Midwest at www.rabbitrr.org or Great Lakes Rabbit Sanctuary at www.rabbitsanctuary.org

Other than that you can try calling around to local no kill shelters, posting on www.petfinder.com in their classified section, also try craigslist. Another option is to contact local vets and see if you can post an ad on their bulletin boards. Just be sure to screen anyone very thoroughly to be sure they have good intentions.

Let me know if theres anything I can do to help. Im located near Flint, MI.

Haley

Thanks for all of the info. I did check with midwest rabbit rescue and they referred me here. I am putting up ads at the vet on Monday. They are about 6 or 7 weeks old right now and I took them to the vet yesterday to have them sexed, so I know the boys from the girls. I am having another cage built today for the boys, and I am going to seperate them from the momma and the little girls, so that we dont have this problem again. I thought about taking them to a no-kill shelter, butI have been in those places and they are so noisey and stinky that I just wouldnt feel right, and they put the animals in such small cages. Every cage I have ever had for an animal has been more of a condo. For example, The momma and the rabbit that died, Their cage was 4ft x 2 ft and they had a hay box attached to that was another 4 ft by 2 ft. I am hoping that I will be able to find the all perfect homes. Thank You to all of you have helped.

Sounds like youre doing all the right things! Its a relief to hear someone be so caring and proactive about an unexpected litter. We get so many membersjust wanting to dump them wherever- or else they dont take action and they have 20 or 30 more babies on their hands!

The vet posting is a great start. I agree with you that keeping at your place is best as long as you can. Shelters (especially those with cats and dogs) can be so traumatic for bunnies. You might also try posting at local pet stores as well, some have bulletin boards you can use.

Oh, and as Pipp said, pictures always help. I cant begin to tell you how many times Ive passed by ads for bunnies and ignored them, but if theres a picture I always seem to care more about helping that bun.

You also can check out our Library for more info on baby bunny care, etc. And if you'd like, you can post an ad in our Rescue Me forum and who knows, maybe someone on here will want to take a bunny or two off your hands. :)

Latest posts

Back