Bun proofing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyRue

Reaction score
I had my apartment bunny proof. It was great because I could let Rue run free while I was home. However as she got older my bunny proofed home became not so bunny proof. She was still managing to get into everything and anything to the point she was climbing shelves and managed to get into dog kibble.

So I decided to just section off a small area and let her run free in the dining room area, however it is carpeted. She started eating carpet and managed to climb into areas she shouldn't be.

I do supervise her but at the same time I want to be able to let her run around for a few hours at a time and I can't always have my eyes on her every second and it seems that the one second I turn is when she gets into stuff or starts eating carpet(which I know is very dangerous for her).

So now I can only let her out a half hour a day, maybe an hour depending how busy I am.

What can I do to make a safe area for her to binky around? My entire apartment is carpet except for the super tiny kitchen area that is linoleum flooring that she is scared of and honestly my kitchen is not much bigger then her cage, neither is my bathroom.

My SO said when he is home on the next turn around he is going to try and make her a little run area off her cage but what is safe for a floor that she can run on but not get sick if she chews it? How often do you let your buns out of their cages? Her cage is a large dog kennel and she is only 2lbs.

Lsy down rugs snd boxes in corners and something along wall, its generally where they chew. Then add some things for him to jump on, chew, ect. :) my buns looove lying on cool linolium, i have kitchen rugs for traction if they need it. Once shes dpayed it may help..or she may be lonely :)

BabyRue wrote:
My SO said when he is home on the next turn around he is going to try and make her a little run area off her cage but what is safe for a floor that she can run on but not get sick if she chews it?
Untreated natural fiber burlap might work if you can find a source for old feed sacks or such.

BabyRue wrote:
How often do you let your buns out of their cages?
Cage? The boys have the run of the house, no chewing problems. They have better things to chew. They have hours a day of outdoor time to chew roots and stuff and inside they have a selection of items with more appeal than carpet, including: immature green and open pine cones, pine root, branches of various types - both newly cut and 'aged', leaves - green and brown, dried plant roots of various kinds, dried vines and spanish moss.

You may well have a 'problem' bunny, but it may be that the rabbit will chew things other than carpet if presented with alternatives.

When I said "clean cage" I meant litter box :) She has a really big dog kennel for her "cage". She gets out lots but its in a smaller area. I play with her lots every day though. She doesn't have behavior problems. She just likes to eat everything in site lol.

She has LOTS of toys like boxes, tubes etc to play with when she is out. She also has my dog who is not much bigger then her and they play together lots :)

What if... you layed a huge sheet over the carpeted area you allow her in (the one she's chewing lol) maybe tape the sheet to the walls so she cant dig it away? Hmm.. i dont know..

bugsy and oreo live in dog crates.. i have to let one out for a while and then the other, crate and rotate since neither are fixed. I usually block off areas of the boys room with various toys (batmans cave seems to work best, lucky we have 2 lol). I always have to sit in there with them though, gets boring and on busy days they only get like an hour each.

Latest posts

Back