Bulging eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gallagher56

Reaction score
I have a 13 year old black rabbit. Saw vet a couple days ago. She has a bulging eye that he thinks might be an abscess or cancer. I’m giving her melozicam and eye ointment. The eye drops are Terramycin. Since using the ointment her eye looks worse. He said if it doesn’t work I should euthanize her. She is drinking, eating and pooping well. Any advice? I’m beyond myself with stress over this.

How is your girl doing? Any improvement? So sorry you are having to deal with this. Does she seem to be in any pain? Those end-of-life decisions can be tough. 13 years is a long time.

How is your girl doing? Any improvement? So sorry you are having to deal with this. Does she seem to be in any pain? Those end-of-life decisions can be tough. 13 years is a long time.
Thanks for asking. Eye is bulging out of socket. Got worse after I put the terramycin in the vet prescribed. Don’t know if that aggravated it or not. She is on meloxicam and Gabapentin. Hard to tell if she is in pain. Eating well, drinking, pooping, hopping around. Seeing another exotic vet Thursday. The last one just wanted to euthanize her. I want her checked for glaucoma. End of life decisions are very hard. I totally agree with that statement. Praying for a little rabbit miracle🙏

Poor baby 😢 I hope the next vet is more helpful. I've used terramycin successfully in the past, although my vet said it can irritate the eyes more in some cases.

That sounds like a good combo of pain medication, hopefully she is comfortable. Sounds like she is doing okay if she's eating, drinking, and hopping around!

Good thoughts coming your way!

Poor baby 😢 I hope the next vet is more helpful. I've used terramycin successfully in the past, although my vet said it can irritate the eyes more in some cases.

That sounds like a good combo of pain medication, hopefully she is comfortable. Sounds like she is doing okay if she's eating, drinking, and hopping around!

Good thoughts coming your way!
The eye is practically out of the socket. But she is still acting normal. Vet appointment today at 2:20. I’m sure she will want to put her to sleep. Gabapentin was effecting her yesterday but she is better. Had to stop it. Making her so she could not stand up right. Just don’t know what to do. Prayers for me and Roady. This has been a nightmare

The eye is practically out of the socket. But she is still acting normal. Vet appointment today at 2:20. I’m sure she will want to put her to sleep. Gabapentin was effecting her yesterday but she is better. Had to stop it. Making her so she could not stand up right. Just don’t know what to do. Prayers for me and Roady. This has been a nightmare
This is the worst part of having fur babies. Prayers are with you both 🙏 ❤️

This is the worst part of having fur babies. Prayers are with you both 🙏 ❤️
Thank you. She saw an exotic vet. The eye is pretty much dead now and she doesn’t think she is in pain. She said to leave her be now and do hospice as long as she is eating and drinking well. Put her meloxicam and moisturizing eye gel. Taking one day at a time.

She is hanging in there. I took her to an excellent exotic vet. She determined the eye is pretty much dead and there is no pain. She checked teeth and there are issues but nothing can be done because of her age. She can’t be put under. She said to let her finish out her life as long as she is eating and drinking well. She said consider it hospice. She put her on meloxicam and moisturizing eye gel. The eye is starting to dry up. Im just doing hospice and letting her be a rabbit. Thanks for asking about my baby girl.

Latest posts

Back