Breeding Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lishka

Reaction score
I usually breed a smaller buck to a larger doe. However, this time, I have a beautiful typey doe who is small, and I have a buck that is quite big but has the color, butt, and coat that I want. His ears are big, but hers are really tiny!! So what I am wondering is if she is an experienced mother, can I breed her to a larger buck, or will she have a difficulty with the delivery because the kits may be bigger?? Anyone who has experience with this, let me know!! Thanks!!! :D

If she's experienced, it's easier. How much bigger is this buck? Which breed?

I've gotten away with breeding a 2 1/2 pound buck to a 2 lbs doe. (With dwarfs.) And I'll have to do an even worse one later... A 1 3/4 pound doe has to be bred by someone, and all my bucks that aren't her brother are at the weight limit.

My buck Ace is quite big for a Mini Rex and I breed him to smaller does. I only breed him to my does that have had over 2 litters though. How much bigger is the buck?

My buck (1.2kg)is also somewhat larger than both my does (0.9kg) Neither the maiden doe nor the proven doe had problems passing the litter.

It really depends on birth weight. Some big bucks produce small babies, some small does produce large babies.

I like to use Cattle breeders as an example in situations like this. Cattle breeders will look for a bull that has the lowest birth weight production for their heifers. Lots of dairy breeders will use Angus bulls for their heifers, being as Angus tend to have a small birth weight, where as some dairy breeds tend not to (Holsteins, Guernseys, Ayrshires), and that will make it easier on the Heifers to calve. After their first year, they will take them to other bulls that may have a larger birth weight.

Erins Rabbits wrote:
Someone was telling me that the sire does not affect the size of the kits. She said that it's the ammount of food the dam gets and her genetics that determines the size of the kits at birth, while the growth patterns are determined by both parents.

That is probably true (no idea) but Jersey Woolies carry the dwarfing gene. It does matter if the buck carries it or not. If he doesn't then some of the babies will come out a little bigger due to not carrying it themselves.

Does the buck in question carry the dwarfing gene?

Sharon

I'm not sure. He is within weight, and I have never bred him. His prior owner never bred him either, so this may be his first breeding.

Latest posts

Back