Breeding a Hotot male with a black Dutch female

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmdegenstien

Reaction score
I'm new here, but not new tobunnies. The one thing that I've been curious about is what the litterwould look like if the above-mentioned rabbits were to mate, so Idecided to post here and get some expert knowledge :)

The Hotot is not typical -- in addition to his black-lined eyes, hisears have black tips, and he has a line of black on his back. The Dutchis quite typical, except she has less white where other Dutch rabbitsdo. The white on her face is thinner and doesn't cover as much surfaceas the black coloring.

Anyway, let me know what you think! My sisters and a close friend havebeen asking us if we were going to let them mate because they are bunnylovers and have all been bunny-less for awhile now.

Let me know:)

-Teri

Yes indeed! About7 yrs ago, my sweetlop and a rabbit I rescued from a field outside the city! An odd thingI suppose, but I am almost sure the rescued bun was already pregnantwhen I found her.

Anyway, she was a nervous wreck at the time (later, she was a pleasure,and such a cuddler!) But she was uncertain as to what was happening itseemed. I ended up having to feed one of thelittleoneswith an eyedropper and he became my baby (not to mentionthe biggest suck..:) )

Of course, that was an unplanned event and I wasn't as experienced with rabbits like I now am.

I recently took in another pregnant bun, who was very aware ofeverything that was going on. She only had 2 lil guys. It was 2 dwarfbuns that had mated.

But, I am not that knowledgable about totally different breeds mating....so naturally, I'm curious :)

Thanks to anyone who replies :)

-Teri

Aww, that would be adorable and hilarious! So fluffy :)

Do any of you happen to know anyone on the forum who has one of these delightful buns?

My question is what do you plan on doing withthese animals from a ''curiosity'' breeding? There are notpeople out there desperately searching for pet rabbits.

Well Hotothave the Broken Gene (En)with a special modifier to limit the color to be around just its eyes(like eyeliner) although sometimes the modifier skips a bit and allowsa bit of color elsewhere which is considered a mismark (also a DQ forshowing).

Dutch do not have the Broken Gene...instead they have the Dutch gene(Du). Most breeds do not naturally carry the Dutchgene. The color pattern of the Dutch rabbit is the result ofthese Dutch genes working with specific color modifers which regulatethe markings (hence why some dutch have more color and less white andvice versa).

Adding the Dutch gene to the Broken gene would produce an *ahem*interesting litter of babies as you'd have babies with both the Dutchgene and the Broken gene hence giving some considerably odd markingsdepending on what the color modifiers do. I do notsee the purpose of doing such a breeding.

I would not recommend anyone doing any crossbreeding period unless itis being done to benefit an existing breed and even then it should bedone carefully and the cross well researched first ( such as crossing aCalifornian to a New Zealand to improve body type on the New Zealandfor example). There are alreadyfar too many very beautiful homeless 'unwanted' crossbred bunnies toeven consider producing yet another litter of crossbreds that reallyhave no purpose other thanto be cute andsatisfy acuriosity.I do not support nor agree with wantonbreeding..please be responsible and have specific goals before eachbreeding and plans for the babies before the buck and doe evermeet. If you do decide to crossbreed anywayplease have at least have 10 people who are 110%serious (take deposits to insure seriousness if necessary) aboutadopting the resulting offspring. It is not unheard of for aDutch doe to have as many as 10 kits in a litter and raise themall. I've had it happen back when I raised Dutch.

I had a dutchwho had 12 in one litter allbut one lived , because it slipped outthru hte wire.

The genes that produce the Hotot markings are acombination of the English Spotting and Dutch Belting. Theonly other accepted breeds that carry the Dutch gene are the Hotot andDwarf Hotot. The combination of both genes are often evidentin the mismarked Hotots which may sport a spotted pattern on theirback, but have the blaze, stops and black tail of the Dutch.

Below is a photo of a purebred Dwarf Hotot mismark, clearly showing the influence of the Dutch Belting gene.

Pam

Attached Image (viewed 23 times):

attachment.php

OMG!!!!! isnt that just thecutest little thing , Markings of a Dutchand the size of a hotot ,how very cute.

She went on to produce many properly marked Dwarf Hotots :):)

Unfortunately that Dutch geneoften producesDQ eyemarkings in the Dwarf Hotots such as china blue eyes,marblingor white crescents in the eyes.

Pam

Unfortunately that Dutch geneoftenproducesDQ eye markings in the Dwarf Hotots such as chinablue eyes, marblingor white crescents in the eyes.*****

But for someone who didnt wantto Show that Eye Color wouldbe stunniing against the blackface markings .
Yes I love odd eyecolors I have a Sport MiniLop with half blue half browneyes he is a stunningcritter to say the least.

IM000335.jpg

This is Zimmeron , notice botom halfof eye is blue top half isbrown , and he has personalityplus!!!!

Because my Dutch is too young to be breeding atthis point, the only reason I actually asked my question was because Iwas genuinely curious about it at the time, and that's it.

Having had tons of rabbits before, it's not as though I'm thinkingabout just carelessly placing random rabbits together to "see" whatwill happen -- each and every one of the babies would have a homewaiting for them (they do right now) if it were to come to that.

I only posted because I wantedresponsesfrom membershere who would know if that breed would be okay -- and thanks to Pamfor replying with kind comments and great information for me :)

Previous to my first post, I was thinking that in the future I wouldlove to have my Hotot (his name is Quincee by the way:) ) and Dutch(her name is Oreo at the moment, heh) have babies because they are suchwonderful rabbits....and I figured the only way to find out if my ideawas silly or not, would be to post here...

So, please do not think that I'm breeding my Dutch and giving up herbabies to a shelter or to a pet store -- I have a big family who areall rabbit-lovers and would be thrilled by the idea of new bunnies.(especially if they would be as cute as the pictures that were postedby Pam)

Anyway, I hope that I'm not being seen as a 'bad guy' on this forum......please comment if you'd like :)

-Teri

My only comment is just repeating myself again..

I would not recommend anyone doing any crossbreeding period unless itis being done to benefit an existing breed and even then it should bedone carefully and the cross well researched first ( such as crossing aCalifornian to a New Zealand to improve body type on the New Zealandfor example). There are alreadyfar too many very beautiful homeless 'unwanted' crossbred bunnies toeven consider producing yet another litter of crossbreds that reallyhave no purpose other thanto be cute andsatisfy acuriosity.I do not support nor agree with wantonbreeding..please be responsible and have specific goals before eachbreeding and plans for the babies before the buck and doe evermeet. If you do decide to crossbreed anywayplease have at least have 10 people who are 110%serious (take deposits to insure seriousness if necessary) aboutadopting the resulting offspring. It is not unheard of for aDutch doe to have as many as 10 kits in a litter and raise themall. I've had it happen back when I raised Dutch.

[line]

Also..

If you like the looks of a Hotot X Dutch cross then go check out a shelter for already born bunnies with those looks.

I hope I'm not coming off as rude but..personally, and this is just myopinion, I simply do not approve of folks breeding just tobreed. I hear folks using the excuse of 'They're such nicebunnies that we want to breed to get babies just like them' all thetime. Thats not a reasonable excuse to even considerbreeding. Most rabbits should never be bred. Justbecause the parents are sweet does not mean they should bebred. The mother could die during, before or afterkindling(birthing the babies)..are you prepared to take thatchance? Babies could be born deformed or have majorgenetic flaws requiring them to be humanely put to sleep for theirfuture wellbeing..again can you handle that? Thebabies may be born fine but momma may decide not to nurse them, are youprepared to attempt handraising the kits (they are very demanding andsucess rate is very low)?Mommamayeat her babiesor otherwise kill or maim them forno apparant reason, are you perpared to take that chance?Areyou prepared to house potentially 10+ kits for an extended amount oftime if by chance your family backs out of wanting a bunny?Often folks will say one thing and doanother. If you answer no to any of thosequestions then do NOT breed!

Sorry again if I come off as rude. Its just that I don'tthink this has been very well thought out.

-Heather *Raising Show Rabbits since August 1994*

LOL...Pam you are right on the Hotots.I forgot they carry du (Dutch gene) too. See whathappens when you try thinking without a good nights sleep?LOL! :D

BitterCowgal wrote:
My only comment is just repeating myself again..

Also..

If you like the looks of a Hotot X Dutch cross then go check out a shelter for already born bunnies with those looks.

I hope I'm not coming off as rude but..personally, and this is just myopinion, I simply do not approve of folks breeding just tobreed. I hear folks using the excuse of 'They're such nicebunnies that we want to breed to get babies just like them' all thetime. Thats not a reasonable excuse to even considerbreeding. Most rabbits should never be bred. Justbecause the parents are sweet does not mean they should bebred. The mother could die during, before or afterkindling(birthing the babies)..are you prepared to take thatchance? Babies could be born deformed or have majorgenetic flaws requiring them to be humanely put to sleep for theirfuture wellbeing..again can you handle that? Thebabies may be born fine but momma may decide not to nurse them, are youprepared to attempt handraising the kits (they are very demanding andsucess rate is very low)?Mommamayeat her babiesor otherwise kill or maim them forno apparant reason, are you perpared to take that chance?Areyou prepared to house potentially 10+ kits for an extended amount oftime if by chance your family backs out of wanting a bunny?Often folks will say one thing and doanother. If you answer no to any of thosequestions then do NOT breed!

Sorry again if I come off as rude. Its just that I don'tthink this has been very well thought out.

-Heather *Raising Show Rabbits since August 1994*
Bittercowgal,

If you like the looks of a Hotot X Dutch cross then go check out ashelter for already born bunnies with thoselooks.

I understand your concern, but I am always checking places in my city and have not found these kinds of rabbits.

I hope I'm not coming off as rude but..personally, and this is justmy opinion, I simply do not approve of folks breeding just tobreed. I hear folks using the excuse of 'They're such nicebunnies that we want to breed to get babies just like them' all thetime. Thats not a reasonable excuse to even considerbreeding. Most rabbits should never be bred. Justbecause the parents are sweet does not mean they should be bred.

I never said I was going to 'breed just to breed'...I'm sure thatmany people have looked at their pets and wondered fondly what theoffspring would look like - even if they weren't seriously consideringit.

The mother could die during, before or after kindling(birthing thebabies)..are you prepared to take that chance?Of course Iwould be prepared for that because it is well known that that could bea possibility. You are aware of this fact, yet you breed rabbits....soreally, there is no difference. I suppose you may be asking that toconsider if I could 'handle' the outcome...but if you're suggestingthat I would be putting my doe in jeopardy, I would have to point outthat you do as well with your female rabbits.

Babies could be born deformed or have major genetic flaws requiringthem to be humanely put to sleep for their future wellbeing..again canyou handle that?

Again,yes I can.I have been in that situationbefore. A lot of what has been said, I have commented on before. Inraising rabbits and in having little buns around.

The babies may be born fine but momma may decide not to nurse them,are you prepared to attempt handraising the kits (they are verydemanding and sucess rate is very low)?

As I said in an earlier post to this thread, I raised a kit from day2of his little life and he survived for years and years, a chance hewouldn't have had otherwise had he been born in the wild where I foundthe mother rabbit. Every second was dedicated to my rabbits and theirhealth, and always was.

Momma mayeat her babiesor otherwise kill or maimthem for no apparant reason, are you perpared to take thatchance?

I watch my rabbits closely and would be disappointed if thishappened (as anyone would be)....I'm sure you have had this happenbefore, but it has not stopped you from breeding. Where is thedifference?

Are you prepared to house potentially 10+ kits for an extendedamount of time if by chance your family backs out of wanting abunny?

Of course I would be prepared. The thing with my situation however,is that my entire family has dealt with rabbits for years and years.It's not as though my family members are clueless as to what they aregetting themselves into, after all, they were the ones who introducedme to rabbits as a child. I understand that you may not believe thisand may think that they would back out, but we are a close family and Ihave no regret in trusting them.

Sorry again if I come off as rude. Its just that I don't think this has been very well thought out.

Well, it comes off as that because it hasn't been well thought out.The reason for that? We haven't been thinking about it seriously. Weare just curious about our two buns and the future possibility. (Again,I said this in the beginning of the thread)

I would also like to say this --- what is the big problem of peopleraising rabbits in their own home for their own enjoyment and to giveas loving pets to their caring family members? People who do this mostoften have the best of intentions.....I could totally retaliate and goagainst your post and what you believe in with rabbit breeding, andcould argue that it's better for me to want to breed in the future forthe love and companionship of bunnies, as opposed to a breeder such asyourself breeding rabbits to put in shows and use the doe over and overagain in this breeding situation........but I suppose I shouldn't gothere.

I am a new member of this community and do not want to offend anyone in the way that I was offended myself.

If anyone really thinks that I shouldn't express my curiousity about mybunny's possible offspring, then please tell me. I just do notunderstand how me asking "what will the babies look like?" turned intome being a careless wannabe breeder who isn't prepared and all elsethat was said.

Also, like to say that in no way am I planning to "breed just to breed" - where did this idea come from?

-TeriDegenstien *raising wonderful rabbitcompanions with the devoted Degenstien family since 1986*

Latest posts

Back