Boycott petco.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raph54

Reaction score
I think this whole board should boycottPetco. I used to think Petco was a great place, BUT then mysister Amanda told me some stories that changed my mind.1of them was A bloody rabbit was lying inan enclosure.
• An employee who was notified of the situation stated that the rabbitwas “fine.” I don't think a store that treats their animalsso poorly deserves my money.

Joseph

I've never been too impressed with the knowledgeof pet store employees. I wanted to discuss common inheriteddisorders of dwarf hamsters while we were at thepetattempting to decide between another hamster or amouse. All I got was a blank look. We ended upchoosing "Ruth the Mouse" and just adore her.

Pam

Mine doesn't either. There's some sitewhere you can get all the complaints for 2004,but I don'tknow where. I'll check later.

Joseph

My petco doesn't sell rabbits. I'mdon't think that any of them do. My local Petco actuallywelcomes local animal rescues on the weekends including rabbit rescuesgroups. They bring some of their adoptable pets (dogs, rabbits, cats)and hand out literature about their groups and proper care of theanimals. Are you sure it was them? I've always really likedthat about their stores.

I've been reading up on the whole Petco hypelately, and I'm really undecided. I lived in Albuquerque New Mexicountil recently, and while most of the stores were just irritating toshop at (uneducated employees, empty shelves...etc) I should mention Inever saw an animal being mistreated or going without care at any ofthe stores I went to. I was quite happy with the one Ifrequented, the store manager was always on the floor actually WORKING,he had good answers. Quite a few of their employees were knowledgeable,and if they didn't know an answer they asked someone else, they eventook in small stray animals and adopted them out for a small donationwhich went to an animal shelter. It was what a pet store should be. Ijust moved about 2 months ago, we have a Petco about a block away, Iwas so excited, but the first time I went in there I was overcome withthe smell of animals! It wasn't just the odor of an animal, but thestink of soiled animals, I looked around and everything looked fine,but I don't shop there. I tried out another local pet shop and wasn'thappy with them. There's a Petsmartabout 30 minutes away thatI shop at now, ironic because I hated the ones in Albuquerque. As withany business or organization, it attracts sick people. It's hard to saywhat the right call is here. Each store seems to be differentfromzone to zone.

Megan

Thanks for pointing this out, Raph54. I wasn't aware Petco was under some heat right now.

Personally, I shop for my hay at a privately-owned pet store, get myfeed from my breeder, and purchase my litter from the Tractor SupplyCompany store.

-Carolyn

Hmmm i find that interesting...i do have a petcoand they do sell rabbits but ours is real clean and friendly.......iuse to buy my buns food thereand dogs ( i dont have any feedstores by me ) but now i shop petsmart i find there prices to be MUCHcheaper then petco's.

i'm not sure if i'm 100% against Petco. i wouldntbuy a pet, feed, hay, or litter from them. buti would buybowls, water bottles and little items like that if they weren't thatexpensive. and about the animal abuses, there are bound to beincompotent and souless people everywhere. it is a shame that animalabuses happen like that, but i bet there are some Petco employeeswhotruly care for the animals they look after.

Completely agree that it's unfair to judge the whole chain on one instance.
Our Petco is also very clean, helpful, friendly, and well stocked. Iusually go in there to see if they've gotten any new rabbit books ormagazines in. Our store advocates strongly at Easter time theresponsibilities and sad stories of thrown-away Easter rabbits. It doeswarm me when I see that, I have to admit.

Still haven't checked out the website and I definitely will. If it'sone store they're talking about, I can toss that bad apple out,however, if it's a repetitive occurance in their chain, that's acompletely different story.

CuddlesMom states a very interesting point when she said that Pet Smart's prices are much better. :)

-Carolyn

You'll see when you check out that site that it'snot just a bad apple. The Petcos that had complaints aboutthem are sorted by state.

Joseph

Oh Wow. Thanks Joseph.

Indeed that does make a difference to me.

Thanks.

-Carolyn

OMG Joseph, this site really opened my eyes tosome of the things going on in Petco - some of it was hard to read. Wedon't have Petco in the UK, but I don't really agree with storesselling animals, mainly 'cos I don't think enough knowledgable staffwould be employed to take care of them. I once reported (with anothercustomer) a garden centre for keeping way too many birds in a cage.Didn't think anything would be done, but they no longer sell anyanimals, so perhaps it did some good. I think everyone needsto keep an eye open for any form of animal abuse!

Sorry - I'll stop my ranting now lol :D- Jan

WOWthat is interesting stuff...i didread some stuff on that site that happened to the petco by me ( kindascarey) but really people how many other pet stores or "big" chainstores have these issues and go unreported or dont appear on awebsite........i have bought a few hamsters from a petsmart that hadwettail and eye problems...i know now NEVER to buy small animals fromthere again......im not defending petco but like someone said sometimespeople who are cruel turn a blind eye to the situations around them!I've never had any kinda problems from my petco.

The website is pretty scarey stuff.Idon'tdoubt that abuses occur at petstores, but I'm not surehow reliable websites such as that one are. It should be taken with agrain of salt. Do we know that the website was created by a reputableorganization? Do we know who documented the complaints? Could betotally legitimate. Just wanted to point out the possibility that it'snot 100% accurate.

My Petco does sell bunnys but they dont appear tobe tiny. plus they do the adoptions of bunnys and small animals whenthey come. just pay 5.00 and it goes to a shelter. They seem clean.plus at easter time they refused to sell rabbits. so i think it justdepends on each store. I wouldnt buy a bunny from them causei would rather it get from a shelter and its most likely going to comewith a cage and its supplys and been fixed.

Cristy

Back