Bonding rabbits!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseynicholson93

Reaction score
Ok so this might seem a little jumbled but I am looking for experienced bunny owner advice!

So I have had my little girl jersey home for about a week now, I brought her home really young (7 weeks) and I love her so much already! I have a really large cage and so much love to give that I have been already obsessed with the idea of getting her a friend and providing a loving home for another deserving bun. Ideally I would like to rescue a bunny that has already been spayed/neutered because I really want to give a not so fortunate bunny a chance at a good life. So I guess I have a few questions regarding this topic!

1) should I wait until jersey is older before bringing another bunny home? Will a larger age difference affect the relationship? I am worried that if she lives alone for months she won't be as welcoming to a new friend. Is bonding a baby bunny and an adult rabbit a good idea?

2) does sex matter when bonding rabbits?

3) does it matter the breed when considering a pairing? She is a Nethie but I would love a holland lop or a different breed.

I am certain I will be adopting a second bunny, I have all of the resources and have already weighed the costs/pros/cons/complications etc the question is when would be the best timing and the best way to go about my course of action! I would really appreciate all the help and advice on anyone's opinions or personal experience thank you all!!:)

Also I am planning on having jersey spayed when she is old enough regardless of whether I got her a friend or not!

I would definitely recommend waiting and bonding with your bunny first before bringing a new one home.
They tend to bond better with opposite sex.
Also, bunnies can be just as happy on their own, as with a buddy.
If you are gonna adopt another bunny definitely wait a few weeks first at least, and allow your bunny to get used to you and her new home.

I'm just afraid that if she's away from other bunnies for too long because she was taken away from her mom and siblings so young she won't know how to interact with other bunnies and will be impossible to bond her to another bunny.

1. If you do decide to get another bunny, I would wait until your current bunny is spayed. They might get along now, but when your female reaches sexual maturity it may cause problems. Rabbits can do well on their own as long you can provide her with enough stimulation to keep her occupied.

2. I have found that female/male bonds are the easiest, but it will all depend heavily on you, your bunny and your environment.

3. The type of bunny does not matter much, nor does the age.

Your bunny will not lose the ability to associate with another bunny no matter how long you keep them away. I had Sebastian a full year before getting him a playmate and he didn't miss a step.

Hope this helps

I completely agree with the above Posts :)
Yeah, you have nothing to worry about, take your time. Do it right :)
In the end it'll be better for you and your bunny(s)

Latest posts

Back