Bonding Potential

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShreddersMom

Reaction score
So I have a 3 year old lop that is neutered (has been for almost a year now) and he lives free range in my room. He's not super friendly, kind of sassy, will only come when I have food, doesn't like to be cuddled etc. He's kind of always been sassy since he was barn raised however he will jump into my lap when I have treats or jump on my bed and such. He's a great little bunny and he's never seemed like he was lonely or depressed, just has quite the attitude and everything is on his terms.
Anyway, recently my friend also got a male bunny and has had him neutered. The other day I brought my bunny over just to see how they would react to each other. I've done research into bonding and I know it's a complicated process and I know best bonds are male-female and the introduction has to be slow etc. We were not intending to bond them or anything, just wanted to see how they would each get on with another bunbun. So we gently put them together, prepared in case they decided to fight. However, they were very calm and even sat beside eachother and groomed within minutes of introducing them. They sat together for most of the night and mostly ignored each other with occasional grooming!
Anyway, so here's my question now, I'm starting to think that maybe my bun is lonely and was relieved to have the company of another rabbit? Should I consider getting another bunny and how important is it to get a spayed female as opposed to a neutered male?
I guess I just wanted some thoughts from people on what to do next!

Thank-you!

The best way to find a potential bondmate is to allow your current bunny to meet some fixed rabbits at a rabbit rescue. There you will pre-screen for potential compatibility. It is up to your rabbit to choose which other rabbit he likes (and likes him back). That rabbit could be either a neutered male or a spayed female. It doesn't matter which.

It is just a generality that male/females tend to be easier bonds than male/male. But that doesn't at all mean that a male/male pairing won't work.

Latest posts

Back