Bonding bunny after death

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel.vr

Reaction score
I apologize for this being long in advance Hi, my bunny petunia recently passed away very unexpectedly and I’m concerned for my other rabbit moo. They were bonded when moo was 3 mo about a year ago and they were inseparable they did everything together except when moo would venture off into the rest of the house as petunia never left the carpet. They would cuddle and groom for hours and hours and steal each others treats and eat hay and pellets together. They were very close and he didn’t get to say goodbye when she passed. It all happened very suddenly she was laying down then flipped over kindve funny so I went to help her and she was just limb then proceeded to have what I believe was a seizure and bled out of her butt. Moo was under a bed when this happened and I tried to get him out so we could bring him to the vet with us but he wouldn’t come out we brought her to the vet and they said she was gone. Deeply saddened I felt terrible for moo because he had lost his best friend and I wasn’t sure if he knew it. There was a blood trail in the hallway that we didn’t pick up before we left so I’m not sure if he smelt it or not but he seemed off and very day the last 2 days. Normally he like love but not all the time and for a certain amount of time but lately he’s been accepting all the love all the time and I feel for him because he doesn’t get cuddles or grooms anymore from her. I got another rabbit right away but have kept them separate. Not sure if it was more for me than for him. Just couldn’t feel the void of her being gone anymore and needed something to distract me from it. Petunia had bled all over me and I placed the sweater that I was wearing next to moo so he could smell it and he laid next to it for a day but then didn’t want it anymore as he started to bite it. I changed the litter box because I needed the bottom for the new bunnies cage but I still have yet to vacuum and get the rest of petunias poops off the floor. Moo still eats and drinks and love his naners but you can just tell that there’s something wrong. He seen the new bunny today in her cage but didn’t go up to her or anything just looked. Should I try to bond them soon or wait a while? Moo never got to spend time with petunias body after passing because the vet wouldn’t allow it so I’m not sure if he knows why she’s gone. Any advice would be very helpful during this time.

I’m sorry for your loss. If may be best to give Moo some time. You didn’t say how long ago Petunia passed. I’d personally, give him two months, just spend time with him, give him more pets than normal. Be his bond for that time.
When Moo left the sweater alone, it could possibly have been that he had come to terms with it- as he would’ve if her body was there.
When you think he’s ready, you can start to bond him with the new bunny.
Are Moo and the new bunny spayed and/or neutered?

http://www.bunnyhugga.com/a-to-z/rabbit-behaviour/rabbit-bereavement.html

I'm so sorry! That is a horribly sad story! I would wait until Moo seems sure that he is ready to bond with another rabbit. Like Apollo's Slave said, it should be 2 months. What gender is the new rabbit? How old is it?

4C61A826-0822-4744-892E-4B8A64DEFAE1.jpeg 53C0327C-3871-4E60-9462-39D5058393AF.jpeg Petunia passed 2 days ago and Moo is neutered and he’s around a year and 3 months the new bunny is a female and they said she was 11 weeks but I really don’t believe that because I got moo when he was 3 months old and he was much bigger I’m going to attach a picture of her and if you guys feel she seems about 11 weeks them maybe she is but I do plan on getting her spayed when I feel she is big enough

She looks about 2 months. What are you feeding her? Baby rabbits should be getting unlimited alfalfa or timothy-based pellets, unlimited alfalfa hay, and tons of water. You can begin introducing veggies in about a month.

View attachment 45648 View attachment 45649 Petunia passed 2 days ago and Moo is neutered and he’s around a year and 3 months the new bunny is a female and they said she was 11 weeks but I really don’t believe that because I got moo when he was 3 months old and he was much bigger I’m going to attach a picture of her and if you guys feel she seems about 11 weeks them maybe she is but I do plan on getting her spayed when I feel she is big enough

Aww, she’s very pretty. It could be that she is 11 weeks. She does look quite young.

I’d say start to bond them in two months. Moo will be able to grieve during that time, you’ll be able to bond with the new bunny, and you may be able to get her spayed.

She looks about 2 months. What are you feeding her? Baby rabbits should be getting unlimited alfalfa or timothy-based pellets, unlimited alfalfa hay, and tons of water. You can begin introducing veggies in about a month. (I might be wrong about what to feed a baby rabbit because when Theo was 2 months I just fed him what I would feed an adult).
I got her young rabbit pellets and alfalfa hay, but I got her at Petland and sadly they’re uneducated so they were feeding the babies regular Timothy hay. I have still been giving her alfalfa even though she won’t eat it but also putting little bits of Timothy hay in there so she is still eating her hay. I gave her a small bite of banana this morning when I was giving moo some but other than that I’m not feeding her fruit and veggies until she’s over 3 months

I got her young rabbit pellets and alfalfa hay, but I got her at Portland and sadly they’re uneducated so they were feeding the babies regular Timothy hay. I have still been giving her alfalfa even though she won’t eat it but also putting little bits of Timothy hay in there so she is still eating her hay. I gave her a small bite of banana this morning when I was giving moo some but other than that I’m not feeding her fruit and veggies until she’s over 3 months
It’s okay to feed her timothy hay with Alfalfa pellets, or vice versa

Aww, she’s very pretty. It could be that she is 11 weeks. She does look quite young.

I’d say start to bond them in two months. Moo will be able to grieve during that time, you’ll be able to bond with the new bunny, and you may be able to get her spayed.
Shes currently in a cage because I feel she’s too young to be freeroamed right now and moo is freeroamed, moo’s “headquarters” where all his food and water is, is in the living room but he likes to spend time other places throughout the day. Currently she’s in my sisters room and I was thinking about moving her into the living room so that they can get used to each others smells and such but still keep her in the cage. Would that be a bad idea to do? We did pretty much the same thing with petunia and moo because moo had been neutered 9 days prior to bringing him home and it seemed to have worked good they laid next to eachother through the bars and seemed to get close

Shes currently in a cage because I feel she’s too young to be freeroamed right now and moo is freeroamed, moo’s “headquarters” where all his food and water is, is in the living room but he likes to spend time other places throughout the day. Currently she’s in my sisters room and I was thinking about moving her into the living room so that they can get used to each others smells and such but still keep her in the cage. Would that be a bad idea to do? We did pretty much the same thing with petunia and moo because moo had been neutered 9 days prior to bringing him home and it seemed to have worked good they laid next to eachother through the bars and seemed to get close
I think that would be okay as long as neither of them could get to each other. I would give her some outside time when Moo isn’t there for a couple hours a day or so. If you see any territorial issues coming from either of them it’d be best to keep them apart until she’s spayed. But it could work.

I think that would be okay as long as neither of them could get to each other. I would give her some outside time when Moo isn’t there for a couple hours a day or so. If you see any territorial issues coming from either of them it’d be best to keep them apart until she’s spayed. But it could work.
I’ve been letting her roam around on the bed and she seems to be doing decent with her droppings except a few occasions and her cecotropes she doesn’t seem to eat them when she’s out and about just leave them everywhere but I haven’t seen any in her cage. The cage bottom is about the height she is and moo is double the height would it be okay to set it on the floor or should it be elevated?

I’ve been letting her roam around on the bed and she seems to be doing decent with her droppings except a few occasions and her cecotropes she doesn’t seem to eat them when she’s out and about just leave them everywhere but I haven’t seen any in her cage. The cage bottom is about the height she is and moo is double the height would it be okay to set it on the floor or should it be elevated?
I don’t actually know... I don’t think it’ll make a difference

I don’t actually know... I don’t think it’ll make a difference
Okay, I’m going to try it on the floor in a spot where she isn’t close to his things and if he lunges or grunts I’ll most likely move her higher and if he doesn’t like coming into the living room anymore I will just move her back. But thank you for all your help I truly appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back